"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, July 19, 2013

Cats and Treadles

Have you ever noticed how much cats love sewing machines?  I try so hard to keep them off my machines but they want to be right next to me at all times.
I got two new industrial treadles, but I am only keeping one of them because my friend, Chrystal, really wants one also, so I'll sell one of them to her.  The only thing is trying to decide which one to keep!  LOL  The main reason I wanted one was to do my free motion quilting on, so I'll need to test them out on my niece's quilt, it really needs to get quilted - the top has been done since like February or March!  LOL
This one is a Singer 31-15.  Cupcake wanted to be the first to show it to you!  You should have seen her trying to catch the wheel as it turned!  I had to stop because I was worried she would catch it and hurt her paw!
Here is a better picture of the 5-31, it has a serial number of G4064667,the serial number range is listed on the ISMACS site as a 31 class, being issued May 15 1915  in an allotment of 5000 machines
A 31-15 is commonly called  the "Tailors Machine",  It sure does sew great for being 100 years old!
The threading is different on it too.  I believe I did it right by threading through all three holes.

 I could not figure out what that knee pedal was for at first, it is to lift the presser foot!  That is pretty neat to be able to keep both hands on your project and then lift the presser foot with your knee!  BUT I have a tendency to knock my knee on it when I first sit down.


I want you to see the size difference on the treadles.  The one on the left is my Franklin.  The throat size on it is four inches by eight inches, the throat size on the 31-15 is 4 1/2 inches by ten inches.  Not to mention how much bigger the whole head is.  A lot of times people trying to sell a regular treadle will say "industrial" strength.  That is like calling my Mazda 5 a semi truck!  My car is pretty small in comparison (it is a micro mini van) and can not come near to the same horsepower as a semi.  It is the same with these machines.  Industrial machines were made for factory work.  The wheels are also bigger which makes them go faster.  With that said, my Franklin could out sew any modern day plastic machine out there.  I sewed my nephew's denim quilt with four layers of denim in some places on my Franklin Treadle and my Singer Redeye 66 hand crank.
 The other machine I got has a fiddle base on it, it is a Singer 16 with a patent of 1890.  The serial number is 10377480.  Serial numbers without a letter prefix are from before 1900.
I oiled the machines real good before sewing with them, and now I have oil coming out, so I sewed a paper towel to soak up the oil.  Right now I'm liking this one better, I sewed on it yesterday and just love the way it sews and my darning foot fits it, I'm going to test out my walking foot on it too.

Here it is by my Redhead 66.
 Don't you love my line of machines?  LOL This is line of machines is my sewing room!
 I forgot to take a picture of it, but both of the industrials have tables in the back that will flip up to give you more room to sew.
The throat space on the 16 is 4 1/2 inches by ten inches.  My Redhead is 4 1/2 inches by eight inches and my New Home hand crank is the smallest at four inches by seven inches.

If anyone has anymore information on these machines please share!
I bought the industrials from Pat, whose quilts I have been sharing with ya'll.  She also sent home a cabinet for a Singer 12, now I either need to get the head to go with it or sell the cabinet.  LOL  It is tiny!
Pat showed me a great way to figure out my 1/4 inch seam.  She puts the needle down on top of the 1/4 mark on the ruler, makes a more accurate mark that way.

This seam guide came with my machine, but when I tried to tighten the screw, it did not hold firmly.  I'm wondering if it is because the plate is not laying flat?
I decided to use my painter's tape instead.
Remember to share any information you might have on these machines!

Missy

17 comments:

judy said...

Love all of the machines Missy. kinda wish I had one.

donna said...

Missy I just love all your machines. I think old machines are so much fun. You know I was going to ask you about the hand crank one. I have one too and have never used it. My dad bought it for me at an estate sale years ago. Was it awkward to sew with it?
Hugs
donna

Anonymous said...

I'd keep them both! The 16 is the earlier version of the 31-15. The second should be great for FM quilting - but the first may be also. I think you need to use them both for a while and work out which one you prefer sewing on.

Given that the 16 is the larger version of the 15 a 15 class manual may be enough.

I have a PDF version of the 31-15 manual that I could try emailing to you. I got it for free off the internet but can't remember where it came from now. (it may have been the Needlebar which I can no longer access) I don't think you do thread through those three holes...

I have a 31K20 which is very similar (bigger bobbin) but the manual can be found here: http://www.cuttersexchange.com/IPinstManuals/ where there are also a couple of 16 manuals.

Dorothy in Oz

Quilter Kathy said...

I don't have any new info for you...just wanted to say how much I love these machines...all of them! How will you ever decide which one to sell?!?!

CrazyCatLady said...

I love reading the posts where you share info on your old treadles and handcranks! I would love to have one someday.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You have so many working machines! That's great, always options open for you. Glad the cats are a big help.

Deb@asimplelifequilts said...

What fun to read about your collection... I've never seen one in operation but they seem so wonderful!

lorraines resources and rewards said...

I love old things and their sense of history makes me feel like I'm there. Any suggestions for someone wanting to learn to quilt. thanks lorraine at http://lorrainesresources.blogspot.com

Butterfly In The Attic said...

When my kids were little I used an old singer very similar to the one you posted. It was about a thousand pounds and could only stitch forward and back but it was the most reliable sewing machine ever! I loved the way it fit into my victorian themed farm house at the time.

I am a new follower (on bloglovin) from Little Homestead on the Hill's Blog Hop I would love it if you would follow me back at:
http://butterflyintheattic.blogspot.com/2013/07/moorten-botanical-garden-palm-springs.html

I am also trying the build my own Web site Postcard shop. I would appreciate it if you would stop by and show it some love:
www.PostcardsInTheAttic.com

thanks so much and have a blessed day
Colleen

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Your machines are just lovely. I have an old singer treadle machine that has found its way around my home for many different uses but never for actual sewing. Right now it has a wood topper over which I have draped a ruffled skirt. It now graces my entry.

Amy, a redeemed sheep said...

Wow....What beautiful machines!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Things were definitely made to last back then... something we could definitely learn from in this day and age. Having learnt to sew on a treadle sewing machine, it's great to see them in action again.

Nanna said...

love your machines, it's alwasy good to have a backup, I have an Aunt that still sews on her treadle machine
Helen

Annie said...

Your machines are wonderful! Wish I had space for those treadles! I do have several other old Singers, though! Can you imagine—my sister suggested I sell some of them! She just doesn't get it.

Sarah said...

That is quite the impressive line of machines. It would definitly be fun to have a sewing party! I love the knee lift on my Bernina so hopefully you will get used to yours. Wasn't Cupcake one of the kittens? s/he has gotten so big!

Adventurous Quilter said...

Wow and i thought I was bad buying anoth old sewing machine today (only #2) my husband would live in fear if he saw your collection LOL

Unknown said...

I know this post is three years old, but I am considering buying a Singer 31-15. I own many vintage machines, but not an industrial machine. Can you sew clothing and quilts on the 31-15, or is it only suitable for leather and other heavy materials? Thanks so much!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8