"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hand crank Sewing Machines

My husband bought me an awesome birthday present:  not one, but two hand crank sewing machines!  Why would I want a hand crank sewing machine you ask?  How many sewing machines built nowadays do you know will last 50-100 years?  Are they easily fixed without costing you a leg and an arm?  Are they dependable?  The answer is no, but the older vintage machines are built to last and easily repaired!
I got to try out a hand crank before and ever since then I have wanted one.  It is quiet, easy to use and makes perfect little stitches.  This is from the TOGA I went to in April.

The first hand crank I got is Singer 15-90 or 15-91.  Serial # AE861906 and was manufactured on January 19, 1938 in Elizabeth, New Jersey, according to Singer's records.
 It was originally electric before the lady I bought it from converted it to a hand crank.
 Here it is set up next to my computerized Janome!  LOL
 The other hand crank I bought is Redeye 66 sometimes also called a redhead.  Of course I had to add a redhead to my collection!
 Serial # G6036122 belongs to Singer Model 66 manufactured on February 6, 1918 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  It is almost 100 years old!
 I need to buy a base for it, but that will have to wait until I have the money for it.
I have been wanting a hand crank since Aprila dn am so happy I finally have not just one but two!
Meanwhile I am slowly finishing my quilt.
I am going to need to work on some other sewing projects I have pushed to the back burner before I can finish it though.
The neat thing is that I can download the instruction manuals from www.singerco.com .  I also downloaded on from ISMACS onto my phone's kindle.  I was at my friend's house and was not sure how to thread t and all the information was right there!
Do you have a hand crank or treadle?
Missy

11 comments:

Denise :) said...

Oh Missy, what pretty, pretty machines!! They really are quite lovely -- you will have a lot of fun stitching on these!! :)

LV said...

Your hubby treated you very well. I do not sew, but you will truly enjoy using this one. My mother was the semestrees in my family and had a machine like you have on your sidebar. My sister has it today and it is in mint condition.

Doreen@househoneys said...

Oh Wow Missy! As soon as I saw your thumbnail I had to stop by your blog. Here's a link to a post I wrote about my grandmother's sewing machine I think you might enjoy. http://www.househoneys.com/a-life-not-forgotten/

Your machines are BEAUTIFUL and may you have many enjoyable hours of creating on them.

Heirlooms by Ashton House said...

What a sweet hubby! And what a perfect gift for you. I can't think of a more fitting b-day gift for you. Your new machines are lovely

Kristie said...

Oh my! You lucky lady! Those are super nice! I really want a handcrank machine. I love both of yours, they make beautiful additions to your collection.

Giggle...I bought 2 machines today but neither one of them as nice as yours! Mine are 50's and 60's.

Have a wonderful and Blessed day
Kristie

betty-NZ said...

My hubby bought me an electric machine from the '50's and I love it. It's 'modern' with a whole bunch of levers for stitches. I wouldn't want a new one.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That really sews much more smoothly than I thought it would! You can really regulate your speed better too, at least with my heavy foot and pedal that scoots across the hardwood! Congratulations on your machine!

Angie said...

Lucky you to have received such beautiful machines! I have a Singer Model 99 almost the same age as yours. I have been using it to make blocks for Barbara Brackman's Grandmother's Choice BOW. I love how smooth and evenly it stitches!

Katherines Corner said...

luckyyyyyyyyyyyy, giggle I( did you hear Napolean Dynamites voice when you read that, giggle.) Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Wishing you a beautiful weekend xo

Unknown said...

Very nice and helpful information has been given in this article. I like the way you explain the things. Keep posting. Thanks!
Sewing Machines

Seam Ripper Joe and his Sewing Machine said...

Your Singer hand crank sewing machines look awesome. Don't you just love sewing with them. I also have a Janome but the truth be told I enjoy using my Brother Prestige hand crank loads more. Simply put it always sews the perfect stitch.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8