"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Hand crank Sewing Machines

My husband bought me an awesome birthday present:  not one, but two hand crank sewing machines!  Why would I want a hand crank sewing machine you ask?  How many sewing machines built nowadays do you know will last 50-100 years?  Are they easily fixed without costing you a leg and an arm?  Are they dependable?  The answer is no, but the older vintage machines are built to last and easily repaired!
I got to try out a hand crank before and ever since then I have wanted one.  It is quiet, easy to use and makes perfect little stitches.  This is from the TOGA I went to in April.

video
The first hand crank I got is Singer 15-90 or 15-91.  Serial # AE861906 and was manufactured on January 19, 1938 in Elizabeth, New Jersey, according to Singer's records.
 It was originally electric before the lady I bought it from converted it to a hand crank.
 Here it is set up next to my computerized Janome!  LOL
 The other hand crank I bought is Redeye 66 sometimes also called a redhead.  Of course I had to add a redhead to my collection!
 Serial # G6036122 belongs to Singer Model 66 manufactured on February 6, 1918 in Elizabeth, New Jersey.  It is almost 100 years old!
 I need to buy a base for it, but that will have to wait until I have the money for it.
I have been wanting a hand crank since Aprila dn am so happy I finally have not just one but two!
Meanwhile I am slowly finishing my quilt.
I am going to need to work on some other sewing projects I have pushed to the back burner before I can finish it though.
The neat thing is that I can download the instruction manuals from www.singerco.com .  I also downloaded on from ISMACS onto my phone's kindle.  I was at my friend's house and was not sure how to thread t and all the information was right there!
Do you have a hand crank or treadle?
Missy
"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8







There was an error in this gadget