"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, March 30, 2012

Potluck Broccoli Casserole

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a recipe for broccoli casserole that does not have canned soup in it?  I like to control the ingredients that goes in my food from start to finish and if I am using canned soup I can't do that.  (I'm going to chase a rabbit for a moment here:  My husband read today that the FDA allows a certain number of maggots and mites in canned mushrooms?  GROSS!!!http://fitbie.msn.com/slideshow/5-grossest-things-youre-eating?GT=50002  )  I took a couple of different recipes I found and combined them together to make my own version.  It is a big recipe since I made it for a potluck at church, but it is easy enough to make smaller or make it this way and freeze portions for later.

Broccoli Casserole



  • 4  tablespoons butter, 
  • 1/2  finely chopped onion
  • heaping 1/4 cup  flour
  • 3 cups milk
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 1/2 - 3 cups grated sharp cheddar (depends on how cheesy you want it, I needed more cheese.)  
  • If you want to, parmesan cheese would also be a great addition to the cheddar.
  • 40 oz bag of frozen broccoli, quickly steamed
  • 1 tbs salt and 1 tbs pepper
  • 3 cups cooked rice  (I had used 4, but I felt like it was more rice than broccoli, but if you need it to go farther, than use 4
  • 4 beaten eggs
  • (I was thinking this would be good with either some cauliflower or cooked chicken added also)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Melt butter in your dish to coat the dish.

Melt 4 tablespoons of butter in medium saucepan (I used a deep cast iron skillet)  over medium high heat. Add in onions and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Whisk in flour and stir to coat onions.  fKeep whisking while you slowly add the milk. Add the sour cream.   Bring to a simmer, continue stirring (I switched to a big spoon here to keep the cheese from sticking in the whisk).   Stir in cheese by the handful. Simmer until melted. 
Meanwhile, cook your broccoli in boiling water for about 3 minutes, then drain.  Make your rice also.

Add 4 cups cooked rice to the broccoli.  


Add 3 beaten eggs (this helps to bind it all together) I used my dutch oven to bake the casserole in, but it might fit in a 9x13 casserole dish too.  Stir in cooled cheese sauce.  If you stir it in hot, it will scramble the eggs.  If you have enough cheese, you can sprinkle cheese on top too.

.  Bake until bubbly and lightly browned, about 20 minutes.


For the potluck, I had made everything the night before and just cooked it the next day.  If you do this, you will have to bake it for 40 minutes instead because the ingredients will need to come back to room temperature.
I loved this cheese sauce, I think I will be using it as a base to a lot of casseroles.

Please note, brown rice would be a lot healthier than the white rice I used, and it would probably taste better too.  I just had to use what I had at home.


http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/broccoli-and-cheese-casserole-recipe/index.html
And of course you have to love Alton Brown, watch his video on broccoli casserole.  I thought the ramen noodles was pretty gross, though.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/broccoli-cheese-casserole/17717.html

I hope you enjoy this as much as I have!
Missy

6 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'm really hungry and love broccoli, wish I had some already made!

Unknown said...

WOW! This is ONE FANTASTIC dish. I made so much, I had to use two casserole dishes. Thank you so much. I will certainly make some to take to workshops when we have take-n-share lunches.

Aunt B said...

Thanks for sharing this. I'll try it with brown rice as you've suggested.

Erin said...

This looks wonderful! And gross on the canned soup =o(

Rose @ Walnut Acre said...

This looks really yummy! I love broccoli and am always on the lookout for new recipes to use it in.

Unknown said...

This sounds so good! I love broccoli and surprisingly so do a couple of my children. :-) Thanks for linking up this week!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8