"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Dressmaker Special Sewing Machine

First, I finished the Pinwheel quilt and it is washed and ready to go!  We will mail it either Friday or Saturday!
The quilting looks so much better after it has been washed!
I love the back fabric.  Everything was donated for this quilt and I would like to thank everyone who helped make this quilt happen!  I'll be sure to post pics of Kenzie with the quilt after her grandmother sends them to me.  She gets her leg casts off in about a week.
I bought a new machine yesterday!  I couldn't help myself, it is so pretty!  It is an electric though!
 I have to rearrange my dining room again to be able to fit it in there.  I can't wait until I move and can have more room for my machines!
 It is called a Dressmaker Special, don't you love the delicate gold flowers?
 Here is the front of it.  It's a small machine.
 It was originally sold at Leonard's Department Store.  I wonder if that was a local store?
 I do not like the cabinet, it's pretty ugly.  I do not think it originally came with this cabinet because the machine is smaller than the hole.
Did I mention I only paid $35 for it?  It sewed through four layers of denim without any problems!!  The serial number is SA 36841.  If anyone has any information on these machine or know where I can find a manual, I would appreciate it.  So far, I have not been able to find anything on it.  I'll be making a denim/flannel rag quilt for my nephew and I think this would be a perfect machine for it!
I have three more machines I use, you can see them at the left hand of my blog.  I use my hand cranks for all of my piecing.  If you click on my Treadle Sewing Machine Tab you will see them also.  This is my post on the hand crank I use for my piecing. I enjoy using my hand cranks because they never "eat" my material like the new machines will sometimes, and they are very easy to fix!   I also have a newer Janome I use for my quilting and dress making.    Here is what my "sewing" room looks like!
I'll be linking this post with Tilted Quilt Meet My machine and other linky parties on my side bar.

Update:  I have found that my Dressmaker is "Most likely, it is just a 'clone' of a Singer 15.  The US Govt handed over the patent to Singer 15's to the Japanese after WWII, so that they could re-start their economy.  I have several versions of Japanese Singer 15 machines."  
And here is some information about Leonard's Department Store "Leonard Brothers was a local store.  In fact it was one of the largest department stores in Downtown Ft. Worth.  It was eventually bought out by Dillards.  If you remember a few years back Tandy had the subway downtown it was first started by Leonard Brothers to move passengers from the parking lot to the store downtown.  Yes a BIG prominent store in Ft. Worth"  
Isn't that an interesting piece of history?

What is your favorite machine to use?
Missy

19 comments:

Muv said...

Hello Missy,

I've enjoyed my visit to your blog today. It's lovely to see that you use your vintage machines. You know how much I love mine!

Love from England,
Muv

Sewing Mom said...

How cool! I looked at a treadle today...it was not in very good condition and more than I wanted to pay. The cabinet had to be entirely redone. It's nice to see your beautiful machines. =)

Unknown said...

I love those Japanese clones! I have my Grannie's and that machine goes thru anything!

Anita said...

Gorgeous quilt!

Quilter Kathy said...

A very pretty quilt...congrats on the finish!
And a fun post to read...love your new machine!

Dorian said...

What a lovely new machine! And your hand cranks are soooo lovely. LOL, I told my dh I started following a blog where they Lady uses her hand cranks...he said "Can I get you one now?!" He loves them!

Sarah said...

I'm sure Kenzi will like that her quilt is cat tested and approved!

Denise :) said...

The Pinwheel quilt is gorgeous -- and the perfect backdrop for the lovely model lounging in its folds!! Your new machine is sweet -- and what a bargain!!! :)

Butterfly In The Attic said...

I am a new follower Love your post. The sewing machine is exactly like one of the treasures I had found at a garage sale also. I paid a little less but that was a number of years ago. I used it to sew my kids clothes and quilts. While it was simple compared to the fancy singer I have now it worked absolutely perfect with very little maintainence. The one time I needed to take it in to have it professionally tuned It only cost me $20. I certainly had gotten my money's worth and it was a beautiful decorative piece. Thanks for sparking my memory of a great time in my life.

I hope you have chance to check out my blog and follow my little posts at ButterflyInTheAttic.blogspot.com

Blessings
Colleen

✄ Erin @ Sew at Home Mummy ✄ said...

Beautiful vintage machines! I love to see that you use them :)
Thank you so much for linking up with our Machine Hop - I hope you had as much fun writing your post as I did reading it!
Best,
Erin

Unknown said...

Hi Missy,
I'm visiting from the hop. I love this machine. I love to sew, quilt, anything with fabric involved. I'm your new follower and hope you will visit me and hopefully want to follow back. Also I'd love to have you link your beautiful machine to my link party hop that is going on now. Come on over and join us if you can, the more the merrier.
Best
Angel

Sara said...

You are obviously a great history buff---very interesting post! All your machines are really wonderful:)

I have a Janome MC 6500 and LOVE that machine!

tales from a handmade home said...

I just took a little peek at your lovely sewing room Missy, such beautiful hand sewing machines and such a tidy space.

Christine said...

Those model 15s and 15 clones were really popular! I've heard good things about the clones. It sounds like you got a good one!

Missy Shay said...

Am I a no reply blogger?

Missy Shay said...

is it fixed?

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Love the pinwheel quilt - it looks so cheery!

Coloradolady said...

Yes, that was a big store in Ft. Worth, and did you know there is a museum now and it is a very interesting place!

Below is a link, well worth a stop sometime and look around.

http://www.fwculture.com/leonards_museum.htm

What a great machine!! I'd have snapped that up as well!! Happy Vintage Thingie Thursday!

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful sewing machine! I can't believe the great price you found it for! I love the sweet quilts you made, too.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8