"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, March 28, 2013

A Quilter's Hands

I'm glad I gave myself a manicure on Sunday!

We had another quilt along on Wednesday.  I was asked for some closeups of our stitching  and we had Siouxsie at the last quilt along and she is our resident professional photographer!  She taught me how to take closeups and took several pictures with my camera!  After looking at the pictures, I wrote a poem about a quilter's hands.
Miss Debra has been quilting for a very long time.
Her stitches are perfect!

She has trouble seeing and these are here tools to see!  A thread guide and a magnifying glass.

A Quilter’s Hands

What makes a quilter’s hands?
Are they a certain age?
Young, old, from a certain land?

A hand that sews?
A hand that works?
A hand that’s seen sorrow and woes?

A hand that is barren?
A hand that multiplies.
A hand that is caring?

God gave us our hands,
To serve Him,
In every land.

To nurture and care
To toil and serve.
As we tarry here.

God gave us our quilter’s hands,
To sew together our lives,
With fabric, tears and laughter,
Serving Him the best we can.

By Missy Shay
Abideth is seven and she wanted to sew a few stitches!
Abideth also worked on her mom's cross stitch!

Here are some closeups of the stitching.

These are mine and very crooked, but a lot better than when I started!


I try to stitch in the ditch so that no one can see my crooked stitches!

Joeann's stitches are perfect!

Siouxsie's stitches are very uniform, which is good!
 

We even got some pictures of stitching from the underside of the quilt!

Verity "helped" Siouxsie with her tangle!

Of course the best thing about the quilt alongs is the fellowship!

I really recommend getting together with friends to quilt, it is what threads our lives together!
To see how I played around with the poem to make it look nice, go here:  http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2013/03/feline-friday_29.html

Have a great day!
Missy

19 comments:

Vonna said...

I loved you poem and enjoyed seeing the stitch in progress shots.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You will have to embroider that (or print it on fabric) and make a wall hanging for your quilting room! I don't quilt by hand and I really admire you all for your dedication and patience.

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Beautiful stitches, beautiful fellowship and wonderful poem. I agree about hanging it in your sewing room or maybe making it the label for the quilt. Thanks for sharing your stitching!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Thanks for sharing your Stitching with friends photos. Your manicure is awesome and I love the poem.

Rhonda White said...

Missy, love the nails! That's the first thing I noticed. Love your quilts too...wish I was close enough to join you in quilting. :)

Ruth said...

Your pink manicure caught my eye at confessionsofafabricaddict! I really enjoyed 'watching' the quilting by hand. It looks like each stitch is done singly, not gathered up two or three at a time on the needle. Is this true? It's much easier to have perfect stitching when you only do one stitch at a time. The hand holding the needle does a lot more moving above and below the quilt though.

Hodson said...

Visiting from the weekend hop! Now following via GFC.

I invite you to link up on my Bloglovin Blog Hop:
Bloglovin Blog Hop

Take care,
Meg
Happy Kids, Inc

Teresa in Music City said...

Lovely poem Missy! It was so nice to see you all sitting around a frame stitching together like the quilting bees of old!

Deb A said...

Love your poem! All the stitches look great to me - just remember we all have to start somewhere and get better with practice.

scraphappy said...

What a nice tribute to quilters. Glad you were able to spend time together and quilt too.

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful poem...thanks for the inspiration!
Enjoyed all the hand photos, and the stitching shots!

Sarah Craig said...

Beautiful poem, photos and quilt, Missy! Whoop whoop!!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for linking up at Blog Hoppin' Weekends . I look forward to seeing you this coming weekend.

Unknown said...

It is my first visit to your blog and you have left me impressed with your post, I love it! Very cute poem, very beautiful photos! I'm glad I found you, through Thursday's Favorite. New follower here via GFC, bloglovinand google+.
I hope that you will visite my blog and if you like my creations I hope that you will considere to follow me back!
Nice blog here, love your creations!
Marisa from
http://passionetcouture.blogspot.ca/

Pam @Threading My Way said...

I love all the hand stitching. Whether perfectly even or a little crooked, it makes no difference. It must be great to quilt in a group like that... lots of fun.

Debra said...

Wonderful young stitchers on your post - so nice to see. Loved seeing your beautiful quilt and the poem that went along with it!

Kathy ... aka Nana said...

Oh how I wish I had some quilty friends to quilt with. I know a couple of quilters ... but they all machine quilt only ... I hand quilt only, so no quilting together. :-(

Sheila said...

What a wonderful post. Thank you, dear.

Quilter Kathy said...

A wonderful poem and such beautiful photos to go with it! Thanks for sharing! Hope you all enjoyed your slow stitching...thanks for linking up!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8