"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Happy Quilting Day!

Sew-cal Gal  is having a Sew-cial today in honor of national quilting day!  I had already planned on having a yard sale today, but I pulled the quilting frame outside and worked on our prayer quilt!
As you can see it was pretty sunny today!  81º in Texas!  I got my first sunburn of the year!  Can you see my dying mums behind me?  I kill all of my plants!
We were pretty steady until about mid morning.  The road leading to my road was closed off due to a Pickle parade!  Elsa was all ready to sell some stuff!
So I just continued working on my quilt!  All that work and all I made was $13, but I got a whole granny square quilted!
I had a lot of people stop and ask me all kinds of questions!  One lady asked me about repairing a quilt.  That's a scary thought trying to fix somebody's loved on old quilt!
I took a bunch of stuff to the mission to donate and look what I found!
Someone put a lot of work into that pillow and will go perfect with the colors in my scrappy trip along quilt!
I'm so excited!

Yesterday I had a quilt along at my house, you can see that post here:
http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2013/03/feline-friday_15.html

Okay, in honor of sew-cial event, let me tell you about what kind of quilts I like. I love scrappy quilts, but I also love two toned and three toned quilts although I haven't really made one before.
I love vintage patterns and vintage quilts.  Here is an idea of some quilts I like, Pippi is going to model them for you!
She's sleeping on a bow tie quilt I picked up at a yard sale with the quilt behind it for $5!  The purple quilt is a double wedding quilt I picked up at a thrift store for a couple of dollars and the quilt to the left is a quilt from my grandmother.  I would love to make all of the vintage patterns!  So far I've made the Dresden plate. postage stamp and great granny square. I am working on a hexagon quilt, but that is a slow process!  I want to make baskets, bouquets, and more!  I am currently looking for a pattern for the basket block that is a cactus basket?  But I want it 10-12 inches since it is for a king size quilt for my sister.
Tonight I am going to finish quilting the pinwheel quilt.
Don't forget to drop in at the sew-cail!

What are you up to today?
Missy

I Chronicles 16:10 " Glory ye in his holy name: let the heart of them rejoice that seek the LORD.
11  Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
12  Remember his marvellous works that he hath done, his wonders, and the judgments of his mouth;"

8 comments:

Nita said...

I use a snap lap frame for hand quilting. How do you find the standing frame? Easier? Happy International Quilt day!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have 3 standing quilting frames. One of them is the QSnap frame, just like yours. I found some tilting legs for it at a thrift store earlier this week. Love those vintage quilts. Have fun with your trip around the world quilt.

KaHolly said...

It was a beautiful day in TX today!! After a delightful trip to the Farmer's Market, I also brought my sewing out of doors and accomplished some hand quilting!

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

These are all so beautiful and what a treasure find that little pillow is as well! :)

SewCalGal said...

How fun to be able to quilt outside. Sorry you didn't make more money at your yard sale, but it does look like great fun.

I thought of you while I quilted in my little sewing room during our virtual sew-cial. It was sure fun to have you join along.

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Quilter Kathy said...

How fabulous to be quilting outside in the sun...I can't wait...maybe in May or June. What a great find that pillow is! Thanks for linking up to Slow Sunday Stitching!

Carla A Few Of My Favorite Things said...

Your granny square quilt is gorgeous. I would love to see a close up of how you are quilting it!

Cathy said...

Love the granny squares!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8