"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Cleaning my treadle

I have been working on my treadle.  To see what it looked like when I first got it, go here:  http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/01/treadle-sewing-machine-and-winner.html
 She was pretty dirty, but only $25!
I have not had a chance to work on her much since I got here because  have been so busy.  The other night I got my cleaning supplies out.
I was told to use naval jelly for the rust, Murphy's Oil soap for the wood (which has always been what I use for cleaning wood), and dish soap for dirt.

 For those who are not familiar with treadle sewing machines, the above is called the shuttle/bobbin winder.

She was pretty rusty.  I'm worried about the decals though.  They are mostly off anyways, so do I just scrub over them (except for the Franklin names) or do I try to keep what I still have intact?
I took some towels and wrapped the cabinet to keep the rust remover away from it.
I started by rubbing the naval jelly on with a toothbrush, everyplace I saw rust.
 On the front plate, needle and foot.
Then used a washcloth dipped in water to wipe off the naval jelly.
 I put it all over the wheel, shuttle winder and base of the arm.
But I don't understand why there is still rust in some places?

 I scrubbed under the plate, you can really see the serial number now.
I finished up by cleaning it all with a toothbrush dipped in dish soap/water and then buffed it dry with a towel.  She looks a lot better, but still has a lot to go.



I am getting very antsy about using it, but I really don't know what I'm doing!  I am getting a lot of information from treadleon.net and their yahoo group.  If anyone has any tips on what to do next, please share!
Keep treadling!
Missy
Post a Comment
"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8







There was an error in this gadget