The theme of the baby shower was milk and cookies, so I wanted to stay with the theme of the baby shower. I had seen some very cute pregnant mommy cakes from pinkcakebox.com and I wanted to try to make one of those. It was definitely not very easy. It took me 4 1/2 hours to make my pregnant mommy! LOL! I made her on Tues. night so that she would have time to harden before Sat. This is how I made her:
LOL I told him this was not the same thing, it's a tutorial! :) First I rolled a thick sausage for the body. Everything I read said to make sure it was not too big or you would make her fat. I flattened my sausage some because torsos are not round. I made a belly and her boobs out of round balls. Make sure you place her boobs up higher, I had placed them too low and had to move them later. I stuck a piece of spaghetti through her belly to keep it attached. I used lemon extract to attach everything because it makes the fondant taste better. You can also add some directly to the fondant and knead it in with the color. You can also use water to attach things. I used a tiny drop of copper to make her flesh color.
I never did find a tutorial on how to make her clothes, so they didn't turn out great, but here is what I did:
For her top I cut out a square and used the bottom of one of my tips to make the neck hole. Using my ball tool I thinned the bottom of her shirt and then I tried to cut it with a wheel thingy from Wilton, but it didn't work. So I grabbed my scrap booking scissors, and they worked great and gave it a nice pretty scalloped edge. :) (BTW - do you see my green fingernails? LOL) Make sure you cut your shirt out bigger just in case so you don't have to do it twice like I did!
Notice in the upper picture how I just placed the square on her for the shirt? I should have smoothed down the front some more to help accentuate her belly. I should have also cute off the shoulders there because it looked like she was wearing shoulder pads. I smoothed down the sides with water. I rolled two more sausages for the arms. I stuck a piece of spaghetti through her shoulders to hold the arms on with. The arms were covered with sleeves so next time I will make them a tad bigger at the top for more support. I also need to work on the sleeves and hands, they were terrible. I covered the hands with cookies.
poked them with toothpicks and used lemon extract to attach them in a pile. Then I filled in the holes with black food coloring on the end of a toothpick. I molded the glass and milk bottle free hand. You can go here to learn how to make the rest of the cake: http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2010/06/milk-and-cookies-cake-plus-recipes.html
Thank you for listening, and happy baking!