Thursday, May 27, 2010
Here is Miss Debra Williams's recipe for "healthy oroes"
Carob Sandwich Cookies - makes about 40 filled cookies
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
1 1/4 cups wheat flour
1/2 cup carob powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups granulated palm sugar (thot not sugar)
1 stick + 2 tbs butter*
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 stick butter*
1/4 cup palm oil shortening
1 1/2 cups regular palm sugar (the thot not sugar would give it too deep a flavor)
2 tsp vanilla
(I would recommend adding about 1/2 tsp of corn starch or arrow root powder to help it thicken)
*Unsalted butter at room temperature - very soft but not melted.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In food processor, or bowl of an electric mixer, thoroughly mix the flour, carob powder, baking soda and powder, salt and sugar.
- While pulsing, or on low speed, add the butter and then the egg and vanilla.
-Continue processing or mixing until the dough comes together in a mass.
- Take rounded teaspoons of batter and place on cookie sheet two inches apart.
- With moistened finger or drinking glass bottom, slightly flatten the dough.
- Bake for eight minutes. Place on rack to cool.
- Place butter and shortening in a mixing bowl, and at low speed gradually beat in the sugar and vanilla.
- If you are adding corn starch or arrow root powder, add it now.
- Turn the mixer on high and beat for 2-3 minutes until the filling is light and fluffy.
- Place a teaspoon size blob of creme into the center of one cookie.
- Place another cookie, equal in size to the first, on top of the creme.
- Lightly press, to work the filling evenly to the outsides of the cookie.
- Keep refrigerated to keep the filling firm, if you desire.
Happy baking ya'll!
P.S. I need to start taking pictures of my food! I'll do better next time!