"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, May 24, 2010

Fluffy Icing


Sometimes we just get tired of regular buttercream and want some icing that is fluffy.  I wanted a fluffy icing for my coconut cake and found a very simple one in my Whimsical Bakehouse.  I have two of the books, "Whimsical Bakehouse", and "Little Cakes".  They are coming out with a new book next month, "Kid's Cakes From the Whimsical Bakehouse".  I can't wait for it to come out!  I have never had one of their recipes fail!
Here is a link to their recipe, they call it house buttercream:   http://www.whimsicalbakehouse.com/bake/bake_detail_house_buttercream.html

I made it for my health nut friends and had to change it up.  This is the recipe I came up with to make it healthy using palm sugar:

Healthy Fluffy Icing

In the bowl of an electric mixer, stir together:
4 cups palm sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon meringue powder or arrow root powder
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (the real stuff, not imitation!)
With a whisk attachment, add and whip at low speed:
3/4 cup boiling water
Whip until smooth and cool.

Add and whip until smooth:
2 3/4 cups vegetable shortening or palm shortening
6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) slightly chilled butter, cut into 1-inch pieces

Increase the speed to medium-high.  Whip until light, fluffy, and double in volume (10 to 20 minutes).
The buttercream will almost fill a 5-quart mixing bowl.
If you want to decorate with, you would want to mix it with IMBC to give it more stability.

For a coconut cake, just top with a LOT of coconut and you could also add a tsp of coconut extract.

Happy Baking!!
Missy

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8