First, I wanted to show you that I got my Janomes!!
The one on the right is my old one that I have been borrowing, my friend said that I could keep it! So excited because this will be the one I take to sewing circle and classes. It will also be nice for when I am working on two projects at one time, not to mention friends can come over and sew and not have to bring their machines. The one in the middle is the one I'm keeping, it is computerized. I have been so busy I haven't had a chance to sit down and play with it. The one on the left is the one I'm giving to my friend Marie. She is the one we are making the quilt for. I took her machine out and was sewing on it, it is very nice too. I am almost done with mt first UFO challenge for the year. I did not realize she was picking different numbers and just started with the first on my list.
Last week I had to cut the sashing for the quilt blocks.
I used my bias ruler which is 2 1/2 inches wide to measure the sashes. I cut over 90!
|I think that block placement was the most time consuming, and most difficult part of the evening. Can't you tell by the look on our faces? We didn't want too much of one print or color next to each other.|
We had fun trying to decide where all the block pieces should go. We were throwing blocks across the quilt to each other.
|Chrystal is helping decide where to put the blocks|
Kristi tried to hide behind her quilt blocks she was sewing together. She is using her daughter's Hello Kitty Janome, it is a great beginner sewing machine.
My friend Skye was also there helping to sew and cut.
We sewed 10 rows which ended up being 90 inches, I miscalculated, they were supposed to be 100 inches. Hmmm, gonna have to rethink this. The blocks had to be cut down to 8 inches and I forgot to add in the seam allowance! LOL That's ok, I laid one across my bed and it hung over by a couple of inches on each side. Friday we are going to sew the rows together, then add a 2 1/2 inch border the same material as the sashing. We will then add a 4 1/2 border of a real pretty yellow and blue flowers.
We will have one group working on that and the second group working on the back since it will have to be pieced some too.
We are almost finished!! Our deadline is March 1! For more previous posts on this quilt go here: http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2012/01/birdhouse-quilt-progress.html