"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Sewing With Little Girls - Aprons

I had two in my sewing class on Monday!  We made simple aprons.  
We used this pattern:   It was super easy for beginning sewers! 
Alayna made a cute apron using emoji fabric.  She did a great job and her stitches were very straight, so proud of her!
 Zoe made her apron last week, but Alayna was not able to make it.  This week Zoe made a matching apron for her little sister.  She did a pretty good job remembering the steps from the week before!
 Here they are sewing on their machines.  Alayna is sewing on her handcrank.  I set up a classroom in my basement (that's why the pictures are dark).  My dining room table is now in the basement.  I really need another table to put down there for the class.   I hung up some of my aprons on the bulletin board.
 Of course, Pippi thinks the girls are there to see her!
 They are learning how to iron also.
 They are also learning how to mark their fabric.
We are moving our class to once a month now that school is starting.  We are starting a quilt on Friday.  We are going to make a postage stamp quilt using 2 1/2 inch squares, just a throw size.  How much total yardage do you think they will need?  I always just pull from my stash, so I am not sure.  I was thinking about two yards?
Zoe wants to make something for Thanksgiving, I was thinking maybe a place mat with a pumpkin on it?

Don't forget to enter my giveaway, it ends on Tuesday.
http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2017/08/giveaway.html

Missy

4 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Fat quarters might be best for the postage stamp quilts. That way they don't have as many repeats. They could also 'share' fabrics, to have more variety.

The Joyful Quilter said...

The girls are doing a GREAT job on their projects!!

sewyouquilt2 said...

great to teach the younger generation the love of creating and sewing. the postage stamp quilts sound fun. I used to have my nieces sew up 10 inch squares and make a cute lap out of their fab fabrics. I would let them choose from the stash and learn about color placement etc. of course a few things would be off limits but for the most part they helped me use up the stash. lol the pumpkin placemats sound fun. we are slabbing in oranges and then making some at my blog. fun fun........good job girls!

Little Penpen said...

I would have LOVED to have had a class like this when I was a little girl. You are making memories and building life skills for these little girls, all while having so much fun. Good job!!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8