The first thing to do is measure your bible. Mine is 9 in. by 6 in. My bible cover is almost too tight, so you might want to try adding an extra 1/2 inch to all your measurements and be sure to add however big a hem you want to the measurements. If you are doing the rag quilt look, add an extra inch to each piece you cut so that you can have a half inch seam to fray. I did a 1/4 seam around the sides and like the way it turned out also!
Once I figured out how big I wanted all my pieces I cut myself a pattern out of paper. This makes it easier to cut then using a ruler, and the measurements are ready for my next bible cover. Plan out which print you want to go where. Cut from the cotton and flannel the same cuts. The flannel is what does the fraying.
This is what I used:
For the main fabric behind the pockets (outside)
Cut 2 - 7in x 9 1/2 in. (this was tight which will be fine if you had already washed your material, otherwise you might want to go with 10 in. instead.) I used the daisy material on this.
Cut 2 - 5 in. x 9 1/2 in. (width should be same as outside) daisy material
Bottom of Bible (Spine)
Cut 1 - 2 1/2 in x 9 1/2 in (adjust width if necessary) daisy material
cut 8 - 3 1/2 in x 5 in 4 flowers and 4 yellow butterflies
Since I cut my strips 2 1/2 in I sewed six of them them side by side all the way across and got this:
cut 6 - 2 1/2 in x 5 1/2 strips (3 yellow and 3 flowers)
Cut 1 - 6 in x 9 1/2 in (adjust width as necessary) flowers material
Cut 2 - 2 1/2 in x 5 1/2 in. ( I hadn't planned this or I would have cut one of the pen pockets out of the daisy material and the other out of the yellow)
Cut 4 cotton and 2 flannel - 12 in x 1 1/2 in. (The straps in the picture are bigger, but I cut them down) 2 flowers and 2 daisies. I cut 2 extra cotton pieces for the straps since both sides would be seen.
cut 1- 2 in x 5 in yellow fabric (Can be cut down more depending on the look you want)
Notice how I used all three materials to encompass the straps and the closure?
(I am going to give you the directions for the pockets I ended up making)
2. Sew the pocket pieces together first. (You will be using a 1/2 in. seam in all places unless otherwise noted)
4. Pin the bottom (spine) to the cover with the pocket(flannel to flannel) and sew across all three(cover, pocket and spine) pieces at the same time. Remember to use your 1/2 in seam here.
5. Sew the strips for the pen pockets together. Sew a hem stitch across the top. Just like the previous pocket.
7. Place the large pocket on the front cover with the bottom of the pocket lined up with the bottom of the cover. Sew the sides only, avoiding the seam from the pen pockets. (Again I had to use 1/4 seam since I had cut too small.)
All sides and pockets should be sewn now.
13. Using sharp, small scissors clip your seams avoiding sewing. Clip about 1/8 of an inch apart for a more ragged look.
14. Wash the bible cover and tumble dry to "puff" out the ragged look.
Here is the front of the bible cover.I wish I had thought of making a monogram "M" for the big pocket, but didn't think of it until later. I found some rhinestone stickers with my initials. We'll see how long it stays on.
Thanks for following!