"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Circle Upon Circle Quilt


Do you remember when I showed you these quilts that my Nanny made?  I did not know what the name of the pattern was.  Sunday morning before church, I picked up a magazine/book I had receives as part of the prize package when I won my Janome.  It had gotten put up with some old magazines and I had not looked at it yet.  Which is surprising since I love antique quilts, it is called "Antique Quilts, Classic Favorites and Modern Remakes" from Better Homes and Gardens.  Imagine my surprise when I opened it, and there it was!  I found a link at the website http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/antiquequilts/antique-quilts_ss2.html .
slideshow imageThe picture of the real quilts look a lot better.
 It is called Circle Upon Circle!  I read that it was also called nine patch wedding ring, and I did find one tutorial for that here:  http://sewkindofwonderful.blogspot.com/2012/02/urban-nine-patch-tutorial.html because when you put the nine patches together it forms a wedding ring pattern. Her block is different though, but close.  Here is her's finished, looks really different and she calls it Urban nine patch: http://sewkindofwonderful.blogspot.com/2012/05/urban-nine-patch-quilt.html  I was wondering if it was a knock off of the wedding ring pattern.
 It was also suggested it could be called a glorified nine patch, I'll have to disagree with that since when I did a search on that the blocks looked nothing like this.  I found a free pattern here:  http://www.patternsfromhistory.com/colonial_revival/hannas_quilt.htm# .  Her great grandmother made her quilt.
I really like the pattern in the magazine though, it gives the complete patterns and templates and it gives you the old fashioned way to make it and an updated easier way to construct it.  You can either make a nine patch block and then cut the circles from the side (using a template) and then sew the circles on the edges to form a circle or you can just applique them on instead of cutting the block.
Here is a close up of the scalloped pink edges:
My camera died before I could get a better picture of the edges and a closer view of the quilts, and of course I had forgotten my charger!  My Nanny hand quilted them!
I still wish I could have brought one of these quilts home with me, but I could only choose one quilt for myself.  Maybe one day I will make one myself.
I hope this post was informative!
Missy

4 comments:

Betty Lou said...

Beautiful quilts that your grandmother made. You are so fortunate to have them and carry on the tradition of quilting.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilts, you are so fortunate to have one of them!
Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Kathy said...

That is a beautiful and classic pattern. Your grandmother was talented! I love the sweet vintage look.

Laurie said...

I don't know where my thought was learned but I've heard this pattern is called 'dinner plate' Maybe because they used a dinner plate to mark and cut the curve?

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8