"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

White Christmas Pie



I just finished reading White Christmas Pie by Wanda Brunstetter.  You can visit my other blog bodaciousbookworms.blogspot.com for the book review.  I had to try the recipe at the back of the book, it is like eating a cloud.  It is a pudding, whipped cream, meringue and coconut all mixed together in one pie.  It is delicious.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I have!

White Christmas Pie
1 tablespoon Knox gelatin (I used one packet)
1/4 cup cold water
1 cup sugar, divided
4 tablespoons flour (you can substitute oat flour to make it gluten free)
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cups milk (I used raw milk)
3/4 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/2 cup whipped cream, whipped until stiff
3 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup flaked coconut
2 (9 inch) baked pie shells

In small bowl, soak gelatin in cold water; set aside.  In saucepan, mix 1/2 cup sugar, flour salt, and milk.  Cook over low heat, stirring until mixture comes to a boil.  Boil for one minute; remove from heat.  Stir in softened gelatin.  Cool.  When partially set, beat until smooth.  Blend in vanilla, almond extract, and whipped cream.  In separate bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff.  Add 1/2 cup sugar and beat until soft peaks form.  Fold into gelatin mixture; then fold in flaked coconut.  Divide equally into baked pie shells.  If desired, sprinkle with additional flaked coconut.  Store in refrigerator until ready to serve.

This recipe is definitely a keeper.  I love Amish desserts!
Happy Baking!
Missy


2 comments:

retrorevival.biz said...

Hi Missy. So glad I found you (from you following MY blog)! You mentioned that you found me through a link on Apronistas but I don't know who they are - please tell me so I can check it out for myself:) HOpe you have a gret day!

Sarah Coller said...

This looks great, Missy! Thanks for sharing!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8