"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Sew Serendipity Tunic Dress

Sorry about the fuzzy picture, it was taken on my phone, and the one taken on my camera - I have a terrible look on my face!  I got a new book!  Sew Serendipity by Kay Witt.
MY BOOK!  This book is great!  It comes with the basic pattern pieces for a paneled skirt, tunic dress, and a jacket.  Then the book gives you directions on how to make five skirts, two tunics (tops), five tunic dresses and six jackets!  They all look different but use the same pattern pieces!  The book only costs $28 (you can get it at most book stores, Hobby Lobby, Amazon, or a signed copy directly from her website) It is like getting 18 patterns for only $28!  As ya'll know I'm still flubbing my way through sewing, but these directions were so easy to follow that, except for the zipper, I was able to make the whole dress by myself!  She tells you how to sew an understitch, topstitch, invisible zipper and more!  I learned a lot from this book!
The book also tells you how to adjust patterns and make custom fits.  I lengthened my dress and brought the neckline higher.
If you go to Sew Serendipity's blog she gives a tutorial on the invisible zipper, since this was only my third zipper ever, it wasn't too bad, but I still need practice.  http://blog.sewserendipity.com/2009/08/dont-fear-invisible-zipper.html  Be sure to check it out, it is a lot easier then the other way I've tried installing them! 
I made this dress for under $20!  I can't wait to try some of the other patterns, I've already bought the material to make one of the skirts! 
This was my last dress for the Summer of No Pants Challenge, I made three dresses and a skirt in four weeks!  Be sure to go to the link party to see some of the other dresses and skirts from this past month!

Have a great day ya'll!

I decided to add some better pictures I took while on vacation at Ft. Sumter

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8