"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Saturday, July 7, 2012

Straightening Iron Holder

I was at Joann Fabrics the other day and saw that the pot holders were on clearance.  I remembered an idea I saw somewhere (sorry, I don't remember where) for a holder for my straightening iron.  Have you ever been traveling, you fix your hair, and have to pack everything up to leave the hotel but your curling or flat iron is still hot, so you have to carry it out and just throw it in the car?  Well, I have - so I made this this!
It is the easiest project ever!
First get a cute potholder.  I bought this one, and it had a cute pocket for my comb!  It was a couple of dollars.
The reason it is sewn a little bit, is because I accidently started sewing on the thickest part, and was determined that it would sew it.  Instead, my needle broke and sewed right though my bobbin casing!
 I'm not sure you can see it, but that thread is still connected to the needle!  I had to get my friend's husband to use pliers to pull the needle out!
The moral of the story, is to make sure you find the thin part on the very edge of the potholder before you start sewing!  I went ahead and hand sewed it and it took me maybe 15 minutes.
Just fold the holder in half, and then sew it!  Put the knots on the inside if you are hand sewing it.
I did re-enforce the very top since it will get lots of wear and tear there.
The last thing you have to do is take a picture of it with your cat!
I hope you find this as easy as I did!
Don't forget that Monday is the last day to enter my giveaway here!

4 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I love this! I have to try it.

Clare said...

This is such a simple but useful project!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great idea Missy, maybe using a denim needle would have been better for all of those thicknesses!
Thanks for sharing.
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Denise :) said...

Oh Missy, this is a really smart idea! I'm going to have to be on the lookout, now, for a really cute potholder to do this with. It never fails that my curling iron is the last thing I use before I'm ready to finish packing! LOL! :)

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8