"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Martha Washington's Flower Garden

This is the quilt I got from my grandmother who passed away 20 years ago.  You can find more about that information here.   It has taken me about a month to find the name of the pattern.  I knew it was diamond set hexies, but did not know the name of the pattern.  I asked on the Mad For Treadles Facebook page.  They suggested tumbling blocks, diamond set hexies, Grandmother's Flower Garden etc.    I knew it was not Grandmother's Flower Garden.  I used all these key words and Googled it until I found the pattern name.   I found this old one from the 1800's, it is called Martha Washington's Flower Garden.  Here is a full view of my quilt.  This pattern is going to be my next hand stitched project, I may even try the English paper piecing!
From looking closely, I think Nanny did English paper piecing.  I had never seen her use this method, but the only quilts I remember were the ones from her quilting bees that were tied.  Little kids don't pay a lot of attention to those things.
In person, I can only see the cube design through the camera lens or in the mirror.  I think it is because of my glasses, I can't see this pattern.
The star is the other pattern in the quilt.  My favorite thing is to look at all of the different materials she used.  I wonder how many of mine and my sister's old dresses ended up in these quilts?  I love the yellow.
She used a lot of plaids, which I think looks really neat.  I would have never thought of doing that.  Do you see the green gingham?  I love the quilting.  She did not stitch in the ditch, but echoed along one side of the hexagons instead of both sides.  I don't think I'm making sense, so look closely at the picture.
That pink is so vintage.  There is no rhyme or reason to the colors.  Some of the diamonds are all prints and some are mixed with prints and solids.

I love the bright reds thrown into the quilt.  I love the pink ballerina material.  I loved anything ballerina when I was little.  Do you see how she finished this quilt?  She made half diamonds on the sides and some of the ends of the diamonds are white.  It looks like she just sewed a small white border and a white binding on the quilt.

For right now it is on my quilt rack.  I'll be giving my sister her quilt, the Grandmother's Flower Garden next week, and then I'll move it back to it's spot here behind my treadle.
I think this quilt proves that most of today's patterns and techniques stem from the older patterns. We have tumbling blocks, stars, diamond set hexies, and English paper piecing.    If you want to see more hexie quilts, visit my pinterest board.  I have a lot of hexie quilts on there.  I'm a little obsessed!
If you have a hexie quilt you would like to share, please leave a link in my comments!  I would love to see it!
Don't forget to enter my giveaway, it ends on Monday!
I washed it today, thinking it had been washed lots of times because it was so soft.....but the bright red that I love?  It faded onto the white.  I line dried it, is it possible to fix it?
Happy Quilting!
Missy

15 comments:

LV said...

Quilts are my weakness. I definitely like this one. I have many, old and new, but not this pattron. You have a real treasure.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful quilt Missy and what a wonderful assortment of fabrics!

Liz said...

I LOVE your quilt! Beautiful!

Carla said...

Every time I see a hexagon quilt, I have to come snoop around. I have done hexies for about 11 years now. I am always working on them ! Your quilt is amazing and a real treasure. Your grandma for sure used the enlish paper piecing method. They used every scrap : ) Enjoy your quilt

Sarah said...

I enjoyed the closer look at your grandmother's quilt - especially the photo with the sweet pussycat face peeking out. You have already seen my hexie quilt but it's almost done...Check on Monday for the completed top!!! And how funny to scroll thru your pin board and there's MY quilt. wootwoot!

Denise :) said...

Missy, this is gorgeous, gorgeous work!! :)

steph w said...

You are so blessed to have gotten your gmas quilt. Beautiful. Like the singer in the pic too.

Sarah said...

Missy - thanks for linking to my hexie linky party - I enjoyed another look at this quilt (and the kitties!)

Michelle said...

What a beautiful quilt.....
I wish I had something like that from my grandma.

Me and My Stitches said...

Love your quilt and all of the wonderful fabrics. The cute kitty is icing on the cake!

My Sister Made Me Do It.... said...

Gosh what a hard choice for you to decide which quilt to become yours! But I think you chose well....this quilt has all kinds of patterns going on there....I see tumbling blocks too! Love the quilts and the stories that go with them. Thanks for sharing.

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I am in the process of making a quilt something like this - the hexies are the same but the layout will be different. Love yours!

Sweet Woodruff said...

Wish I could see this in person. It looks like a lot of feedsacks and shirtings. It's really incredible and inspiring. I want to make one now.

Linda2603 said...

I have been searching for how I should stop my quilt. I did not the pattern had a name. Thank you. I have been working on mine for 2 years and hope to make it queen size (all by hand). Can you tell me how large this quilt is and the size of the hexagon side. I'm using 3/4" hexagons and have made lots but not all put together. Please help me out on size. Linda in Houston

Judy said...

I just found your most beautiful hexie quilt that I have ever seen from the Hexie Blog. I love it so much I have set it as my screensaver. I am working on a hexie wall hanging and can not imagine the work and time put into your quilt. It is just extra beautiful and I can tell you really cherish it, I know I would too. I am jealous!!!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8