"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Stuff!

I can't believe I am actually moving next week!  The bad news is that we cannot get internet in our new house!  My husband is working from home, which means he will need to rent office space from a friend.  We asked the neighbor about his internet, but it seems that Century Link is weird and does not always service everyone on the same block.  I don't get it at all!  With that said, I'm hoping that it will not affect my blogging too much.  I'll need to learn how to blog offline and then upload it when I get to town and the internet.  I practically live online, maybe this will break a few bad habits!  LOL
I have been cleaning and packing one room at a time so that when we load the truck, we will just need to do a quick vacuum or sweep .  We are loading the uhaul on Wednesday and then driving to MO on Thursday.  We'll leave early since we want to get there in the daylight, it won't be easy to find a house in the country in the dark!  LOL  We have friends coming on Friday to help us unload the truck, that will give us time Thursday night to decide where everything will go.
 I took down the curtains in my bedroom so that I could wash them and pack them.  I needed to put something up temporarily so I hung up this quilt.  I am going to use it to wrap around one of my treadle cabinets so it will be getting dirty anyway.  My husband and I both decided we really liked the way it looked as curtains and might be doing it again when we move!  I picked up this quilt for $5 at a yard sale!

In May a year ago, my daddy passed away.  At the time I was working on some super easy to make capes for a friend, I had them all cut out.  After my Daddy passed away, I did not do any sewing or quilting that summer.  After that, every time I picked the capes up to work on them, I put them right back down or if I did work on them, I made a dumb mistake. There was a lot of ripping action going on with these capes!   It took me a while to realize that the reason I was having such a hard time with the capes was because of my grief.  We had done a barter system for the capes and here it was a year and a half later and she still did not have her capes!  I kept one electric sewing machine out and refused to pack up the dining room with all of my sewing stuff until I finished those capes!
The mom's cape

the toddler's cape

the five year old's cape
I finally finished them and delivered them yesterday!  These capes have been weighing me down for a year and a half!  Praise the Lord they are done and all of my sewing and machines are packed!
Here is the first cape I made for myself and here is the one I made for a friend.

Have you ever had a project you were not able to finish because of grief?

8 comments:

donna said...

Oh gosh no internet. Have you tried Dish to see if they service the area. We are in the country and that is what we do. I wish you all the best in your move.
Hugs
donna

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You must be so excited!! When we first moved here there was no other internet than satellite, which we did get for awhile. It is bad for us because if it rained or snowed, the lost signal. Now there is a place that we get cable via air. They send it over line of sight towers. So far it is pretty good!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Good luck with an Internet connection and keeping up your blog posts. Hope all goes smoothly with the move, too.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

No internet connection? OK I can't say much, mine is sketchy at best out in the country. There are days....and we pay a ton of money for it. But without internet you will get so much done. Good job on the capes. Working on certain projects are difficult at times especially when related to major events. What a great finish, and I bet you feel so refreshed having it done.

Christine said...

Good luck with your move. The capes are beautiful!

Kathleen said...

I cannot imagine living without internet access and that is a sad thing to admit! Question: about moving your treadle, do you remove the head from the cabinet or transport it whole? One of these days I will be inheriting my mom's machine which is a one hour drive from my house. Not sure what the best way to transport it is.

Podunk Pretties said...

When I first moved to Podunk the internet was dial-up(slow). I purchased an air card($100 for the card and $50 a month) for my internet connection. We now have Hughesnet(expensive). Good luck trying to ween yourself from all of us!

retrorevival.biz said...

Hoping your move goes smoothly, Missy! And looking forward to hearing all about your new place:)

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8