"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, March 14, 2014

Recovering a vanity stool and my front porch

I decided that my vanity stool needed an update.  My dad and stepmom gave it to me years ago and it had a plastic seat and was red.  I (my husband) painted it white and I hot glued some brown velvet on it after stuffing it with more stuffing.  After more then 15 years it needed a new coat of paint and a new cover that matched my new bedroom which has blue walls and I will be painting the furniture white eventually.
Chris repainted the stool and I made a new cover and added more stuffing.
 Can you see that nasty plastic cover?  I was not very precise, I sat the seat on top of the material then cut around it, making sure I would have plenty to stretch across the bottom.  I then put paper underneath it.  I cannot find my glue gun so I used spray glue that I use for basting.  It helped to pull the fabric over, but did not hold it tightly enough, so I did what every American girl would do, and used duck tape!  Bright green of course.
 Make sure you mark your holes where the screws go and put it on your "new" vanity stool!  I love that daisy material!
 I love my screened in front porch and really want it to look like something out of a magazine, but that takes time and money, so meanwhile I put my rocking chair out there, which Oreo was using for his nap.  (Do you see his matching pillow?)  I have plans on recovering it a bright color and making a matching tablecloth for my $15 bistro table!  I also need another rocking chair!
 Precious is enjoying the bench which I want Chris to paint white and then I will make a matching pillow.  What I really want is a porch swing!  My friend Clarissa and I enjoyed sitting out there while we chatted.
 Cupcake and Pippi are enjoying the view through the screen.  I can't wait for the bushes to "green" out.
 Here it is looking in, Custard joined them in the middle.  I bought two yellow rose bushes and planted them in bright red containers and put them by the front door..  I hope they grow!  I also want Chris to white wash the "picket fence" bordering the porch.  (Don't tell him he is in the picture!)
 I am not very good at staging things.  Here is my fireplace mantle.  Chris bought me the painting, doesn't it go perfect with those dark walls?  Any suggestions on moving things around?
So there is a part of a tour of my house that still needs a lot of work before I will be happy with it.

Next week I need to make Chris's curtains for his office!

Have a great weekend!
Missy

2 comments:

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

Cute seat and the fabric is sew cute. Your screen porch is nice. My sunroom is where my quilt frame is now.

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Your 'new' stool looks great and shows how very resourceful you are. Love your screened in room.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8