"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, February 21, 2011

Seven-Minute Frosting

This is the frosting I made with my pug dog cake that I could not decorate with, but it is some of the best frosting I have ever made, and super easy to make with palm sugar!  You can also use cane sugar, and maybe honey, although I have never tried that!  I found the recipe in an old cookbook.  McCall's Book of Cakes and Pies copyright date:  1965.
I found an updated version, a reprint here:


Seven-minute frosting

2 egg whites (1/4 cup)
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used palm sugar)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar (please do not skip the cream of tartar!)
1 tsp vanilla extract
(I had also added a 1/4 cup carob powder and a tsp peppermint extract)

1.  In top of double boiler, combine egg whites, sugar, corn syrup or cream of tartar, and 1/3 cup water
I do not own a double boiler, so I find a glass bowl that fits snugly in my biggest saucepan to make one.  make sure the boiling water does NOT touch the bowl!
2.  With portable electric mixer or rotary beater, beat about one minute to combine ingredients.
I had let the palm sugar "melt" in the water a little before I added the rest of the ingredients, this makes it easier to beat.  I had also doubled the recipe, and had frosting go everywhere!
3.  Cook over rapidly boiling water (water in bottom should not touch top of double boiler), beating constantly, about 7 minutes, or until stiff peaks form when beater is slowly raised.
It took me almost ten minutes of beating, I think it was because of the carob powder that it took longer.
4.  Remove from boiling water.  Add vanilla; continue beating until frosting is thick enough to spread-about 2 minutes.
     Makes enough to fill and frost an 8-inch or 9-inch two layer cake or frost a 9x13 inch cake.

This frosting would be awesome with a coconut cake!  Enjoy, I know I did!

Happy baking!
Missy

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8