"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Delicious Banana Layer Cake

Southern Heritage Cakes Cookbook (The Southern heritage cookbook library)I picked up The Sothern Heritage Cakes Cookbook at a library sale.  I love reading this book and the recipes.  It has several recipes of the same type of cake sometimes, which I enjoy because sometimes I won't have the ingredients for one recipe, but will for another recipe.  My friend requested a banana cake for the baby shower cake for last week and I found a great banana nut cake recipe in here.

Delicious Banana Layer

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used palm sugar)
2 eggs, seperated
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup plus 1 tbl buttermilk
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1 cup kamut flour and 1 cup all-purpose flour)
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped pecans  (don't cut them too small like I did)

Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. (If using palm sugar, be sure to beat until the sugar is well mixed.) Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Dissolve soda in buttermilk; (I used vinegar to sour my milk, so I just added the soda to my flour) add to creamed mixture alternately with flour.  Stir in mashed bananas and pecans.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature)until stiff peaks form; fold into batter.
Pour into 2 greased and floured 8-inch round cakes pans (I did a 9x13).  Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool cake in pans 10 minutes; remove layers from pans, and let cool completely.  It will stick in a glass pan, I know this from experience!



No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8