"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, December 6, 2012

Church Quilt Along

I started a quilt-along at church.  We had our first meeting at church on Tuesday.  We will meet every other Tuesday morning and every other Friday night on the opposite weeks.  This way those who can't come during the day and come at night and vice versa, will have a chance to participate.  Ofcourse some of us will go to both.  Since our children are home-schooled this will be a home-economics  class for the ones who want to participate!!
We were originally all going to make the granny square quilt, but as we know, not everyone likes the same patterns, so four of them decided to do postage stamps, which I had to teach myself to make before I could teach them!  LOL
 We had three irons set up.
First everyone had to iron their material.  You cannot cut an accurate line on wrinkly material!
Our first lesson was on how to properly use a rotary cutter and how to cut their material.
Since everyone was cutting 2 1/2 inch blocks, it made it a lot easier.  I had the two adults who were making the postage stamp quilts do strips and will teach them how to strip piece.  The two girls will have to make four patches and then sew them into 16 patches since they are using scraps.
I decided to make my quilt on my handcrank sewing machine.  I have not had the opportunity to sew anything on it yet!  My husband asked me what the blue tape was for, it is to mark my 1/4 inch seam!  The only drawback to taking my hand crank, is how heavy it is!

Everyone was fascinated with how easy and quiet it was and wanted to try it out!
Julia

Joeann and her daughter Abideth

Kayla

Tabitha

Valerie
Even Caleb, who was doing his homeschooling in the back of the room, wanted to try it out!
We had a lot of fun!  I have one block that I am calling my community block since everyone sewed on it!
Since the girls were using Joeann's rotary cutter and mat, she spent her time working on the embroidery for the prayer quilt.

Next time I am going to teach everyone how to start sewing it together, 1/4 inch seams, accuracy, chain stitching, etc.  We still have more ladies who are participating, some are even crocheting their granny squares!
Have a wonderful week everyone!
Missy

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Sounds like a fun group project. We are starting a craft night at our local library and inviting any kind of crafter...it will be interesting to see who shows up to do what projects.

Pam said...

What a fun project. Would love to see the finished projects. I've been working with my granddaughters learning to sew.

LV said...

What a great fun way to spend time with family and friends. I love the quilt making process. I do not make them, just buy them.

Tami Von Zalez said...

Love the fact that you are using an old Singer sewing machine - the old ones are the best (provided they were well-maintained ...) Visiting you from VTT.

Come and join me for my Countdown to Kitschmas.

thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

what a great day! whoop whoop!

Kat said...

It looks like your group will have a ton of fun together. I love the old Singer. I have an old one with the knee pedal, which I had serviced but have never used. I just like to admire her, LOL :-)

Sarah Craig said...

It's so nice to see your group of sewers all together! Whoop whoop!!!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8