"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, January 21, 2013

Do you speak the language?

I am still in Lubbock waiting for my uncle's funeral.  It is a county burial and they won't let us bury him until Thursday, Nine days after his death!!!  Isn't that crazy, so my one week trip has turned into a two week trip.  I wish I had brought some quilting with me.  My mom let me borrow her sewing machine and I offered to make curtains for my niece and curtain's for my brother-in-law's camper, got all the material cut, and would you believe I cannot get her sewing machine to work?  Give me an old people powered sewing machine any day - they are so easy to fix!  I don't suppose someone lives in Lubbock who would let me borrow a machine for two days?  LOL
I had this sitting in my drafts and thought this would be a perfect time to share it!

Do YOU speak the language?? 

BOM = Block of the Month
DSM = Domestic Sewing Machine
FART = Fabric Acquisition Road Trip
FOB = Fear of Binding
FQ = Fat Quarter
HST = Half-Square Triangle

LA = Longarmer
LAQ= Long Arm Quilter
LQS = Local Quilt Shop
MAQ = Mid-Arm Quilter
OBW = One Block Wonder
PhD = Projects half Done
PIGS = Projects in Grocery Sacks
PP = Paper Piecing
QAYG = Quilt As You Go
QST = Quarter Square Triangle
RR = Round Robin
SABLE = Stash Accumulation Beyond Life Expectancy
SID = Stitch In the Ditch
SnW = Stack and Whack = pile up and cut all at once block pattern
Squishy=Envelopes filled with swap fabric or gifts sent/received in the mail
STASH = Special Treasures All Secretly Hidden
TGIF = Thank God It's Finished!
TOT = Tone-on-Tone
UFO = UnFinshed Object
VIP = Very Important Project
WHIMM = Works Hidden In My Mind
WIP = Work In Progress
WISP = Work In Slow Progress
WWIT = What Was I Thinking
WOF = Width of Fabric
WOMBAT = Waste of Money, Batting, and Time
WOW = White On White


Bonnie Hunter printed this on FB, and since I have been confused by some of these anagrams, I thought I would share!

I have a couple to add!
HQ = Hand Quilter
PPM = People Powered Machines
TO = Treadleon from Treadleon.net
HC = Hand Crank Sewing Machine
Tail = Electric Sewing Machine
TOBE = Treadle On Block Excange
Onion = people who are members of the treadleon.net site, basically anyone who uses people powered machines!

The hardest thing for me to figure out is the math on quilt sizes, I found this great chart that you can print off and share!
http://www.allpeoplequilt.com/images/PDFs/QuiltSizeCharts.pdf
It tells you how long to make your quilt depending on how much of an overhang you want!

Have a great day ya'll!
Missy

3 comments:

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I just found out I have PIGS! Well, one grocery sack but it's that really big fabric kind. All there and unquilted! Thank you for the terms and I hope you find a machine to use.

tales from a handmade home said...

I'm the owner of a HC and a WOF with a FOB which has led to a WISP.

I'ts great to finally know what all those abbreviations mean on quilting blogs.

Lovely blog.

retrorevival.biz said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, Missy. Sending prayers your way.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8