"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Day 2011

I had so much fun hosting my friends for Thanksgiving this year.  I  forgot to take a picture of everyone sitting at the table though.  I wanted an elegant table, but my husband said we did not have any money to spend on stuff like that this year.
I was able to "dress" my table with only spending .70 cents for the cinnamon sticks!  The sunflowers were left over from old-fashioned Sunday at church last year, the bird nests left over from a baby shower http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2011/03/his-eye-is-on-sparrow-baby-shower.html , the pine cones were bought last year, tablecloth and napkins bought on clearance from Target one year.  The silver was Chris's grandmother's , I was so happy when the family offered it to us after she passed away.  I have loved using them for special dinners.  This was my first time to use my china.  My uncle gave me his set since my aunt had passed away a few years ago.  It was a wedding present to them.  They got married the year my mom was pregnant with me.    I love family "heirlooms", they are so special.
God provides the little things.  I bought my goblets at Dollar Tree in PA many years ago.  One got broke a couple of years ago and I have not been able to find any replacements, they are quite unusual.  This left me with only five and on a whim I looked at the Dollar Tree again to see if they might have any (doubtful).  I walked in and they had a whole display right in front of the door!  What a blessing!  I bought three to give myself a set of eight!
Chrystal's kids had to sit on a quilt on the floor for their lunch and Susan's teenager sat at the desk which is in the LR.  I think the poor kid was very bored!  LOL
For some reason my turkey was still frozen in the morning!  Maybe my fridge was too cold, I don't know but next year it will be in a water bath the night before!  We finally took it out and cut off pieces and stuck those back in the oven and finished cooking the turkey while we ate.  It was a tight squeeze having 6 adults in my dining room, but it was still a lot of fun!

How was your Thanksgiving?
Missy

2 comments:

Samantha said...

Your table looks beautiful :) I love having real colours from nature in the dining room so I love your table cloth which ties in perfectly with the sunflowers! x

Kelli Fannin Quilts said...

Gorgeous table! I am new to your blog, found it via another blog I follow. I have a quilty/crafty blog, but I do love cake decorating(though I have NO talent-ha), and all things homemaking, and making new blog friends. Nice to *meet* you. :o)
Kelli

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8