"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Cherry Cobbler

For our church's anniversary we had an old-fashioned Sunday where we dressed up old-fashioned and ate old fashioned food.  We had a potluck and had chicken dumplings, greens, black eyed peas, cornbread and salad.  For dessert we had cobbler, I've never made cobbler before and did not realize how hard it was to find the fruit for a cobbler this time of year.  (I could have done apple, but I have an apple crisp in my fridge that I've been eating on.)  I decided to do cherry, which ended up costing  more then I expected.  I'll make sure to use " in season" fruit next time, but I think my healthy cherry cobbler turned out pretty good!  I'm thinking next year maybe pie social?
Cherry Cobbler
1 cup kamut flour
1/2 cup organic unbleached all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons palm sugar
1 tablespoon agave nectar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup butter
about 6 cups fresh or frozen unsweetened pitted cherries ( I used and 12 oz and 16 oz bag)
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons tapioca or corn starch
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk

1.  Preheat oven to 400° F.  For topping, in a medium bowl stir together flour, the tablespoons sugar (if you are not using the granulated kind, crumble it in with the flour mixture like you do the butter), baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  Using your fingers is a quick way to do this.
2.  For filling, in a large saucepan combine the cherries, 1 cup sugar, and the cornstarch.  Cook over medium heat until cherries juice out, stirring occasionally.  Be sure to not have your heat too high and keep an eye on it, I scorched mine and has taken a long time to clean that pan!  Continue to cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened and bubbly.  Keep filling hot.
3.  In a small bowl whip together the eggs, milk and agave nectar.  Add to flour mixture, do not over mix.  Transfer hot filling to a 2-qt square baking dish, unless it is for a crowd, then use a 9x13.  Using a spoon or scoop, drop topping into several mounds on top of filling.
4.  Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden brown.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

This looks yummy. I love making cobblers, so I always try to freeze my fruit so I can have it in the winter.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I agree with Teresa, this recipe looks great. I have never tried a cherry cobbler, though my husband would love it. I am going to try yours. Thank you for posting and sharing. I love your blog. I am your newest follower.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8