"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Twins' Birthday Cake

All Smiles!

Here's a picture of me serving my cake today at church.  Do you see the ugly plastic gloves?  LOL

Aaliyah and Aaric turned 15 today.  She wanted two fondant figures of her and her twin brother.  I started out with molding rice krispies treats into the shape of their body.  I used a thick straw through each body to hold everything together and stick in the cake.  I didn't have any brown food coloring, so I took some almond bark, melted it, added some corn syrup, and added it to my fondant to make black skin.

I think making clothes out of fabric is a lot easier than fondant!  I can't make hands, so I needed to figure out a way to hide their hands.  Aaliyah likes ponchos so I used one to hide her hands.  I wasn't sure how to make his hair, so I took a new sponge and dipped it into black food coloring and then sponged it onto his head.


To hide Aaric's hands, I had him hold the fondant 15 that I made using a mold.
Aaliyah wanted half the cake pink and the other half blue.   I made the candy figures from gumpaste molds I got from here:  http://www.decoratethecake.com/store/WsDefault.asp?Cat=SiliconeMolds&Sub=107&isThumbs=Yes&Thumbs=100
 
The odd colors are from the thot not powdered sugar I made.  You can get the directions here:  http://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2011/02/powdered-sugar-made-from-palm-sugar.html  I just used a basic buttercream recipe and added salt to cut the sweetness and some almond extract which gave it a bit of a maple taste.
I made a 1/4 sheet cake and to help it to cook in the middle I greased a biscuit cutter and put it in the middle to act as a heat conduit.
Here is a close up of Aaliyah on the cake, she is surrounded by cupcakes.
Here is a close up of Aaric.  I didn't mean to make their noses so big!
I had a lot of fun making this cake, even though it took me five hours to make the fondant figures!

I hope you enjoyed my cake!
Missy

4 comments:

retrorevival.biz said...

Bravo, Missy! The cake is so cute and I'm sure the twins were very greatful!

~Cindy

Karena said...

Missy how lovely for the children, they must have been thrilled!! I had not heard of the biscuit cutter trick, will use that for sure!

....Came over from Katherine's..

I have a $100 Giveaway from Soft Surroundings on my site if you would like to enter!!

Xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

carol l mckenna said...

Very creative and I bet delish besides ~ Happy Birthday to the twins ~thanks for sharing, namaste, ^_^

You might consider my new blog hop ~ Magical Monday Meme with your creative style ~

Katherines Corner said...

so cute! Happy birthday to the twins! Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things Hop! xo

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8