"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, December 5, 2011

Spiced Pumpkin Custard Pie

I am more of a cake baker then a pie maker, therefore my pie does not look great.  I wanted to pipe whipping cream on it to make it prettier, but my husband wouldn't let me and said I was too busy cooking Thanksgiving dinner.  I found this recipe in Taste of Home and changed up the sugar.  The recipe was from Charlene Chambers.  I loved the crust, but my husband wasn't a fan - it was super easy too! 

Crust
3/4 cup chopped pecans toasted
1 cup plus 2 Tbsp flour (I used half wheat and half all-purpose)
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
7 Tbsp shortening
2 Tbsp plus 1 tsp ice water

Filling
2 eggs
3/4 cup palm sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
1 can(12 oz) evaporated milk

1.  Chop the pecans (I used my chopper but you can use a food processor to make it fine).  In a large bowl, combine the pecans, flour, ginger and salt.  Cut in shortening until mixture is crumbly.  Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball.  Press dough onto the bottom and up the sides of an ungreased pie pan.  I would recommend a deep dish 9 inch or 10 inch.  Isn't that crust easy?  You could even use gluten free flour if you wanted, but I would add a tsp of guar gum also if you do.

2.  For filling, in a mixer, beat the eggs, sugar spices and salt until smooth.  Beat in pumpkin.  Gradually beat in the milk.  (I used raw milk)  Pour into crust.

3. I recommend placing it on a cookie sheet in case it spills like mine did.  I learned that trick a few years ago.  Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife you inserted near the center comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack.  I recommend cooking it the day before and chilling it.  I had a friend who always served hers warm, never liked it that way.  She wouldn't refrigerate them either and they would mold.  GROSS!

Also make sure you don't put the big bag of shelled pecans on the stove on the back burner where they will cook.  Luckily only a few were burnt, but I still have not gotten the burnt plastic off my burner yet.  :)

Let me tell you about my bad sewing day.  I'm making a cape, but the cute, expensive material I bought is not wide enough and I cannot afford to buy more of it.  I also just sewed two rows of my sister's rag quilt backwards, so now I need to sit down and rip the seams out.  Maybe tomorrow will be better.

Enjoy your pumpkin pie!
Missy

1 comment:

retrorevival.biz said...

Well I think it's pretty, Missy! Thanks for sharing your recipe.

~Cindy

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8