"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, January 23, 2017

Fun Fabricating on Friday

I finally got some sewing done on Friday.  I wanted to quilt all day Thursday, but I had a terrible sinus headache that kept me in bed most of the day.  I finished the first Bee block of the year for Sew Sweet Bee.  Alicia asked for the rolling stones block from Fat Quarter Shop.  I didn't have the fabric she wanted, but found the closest color, to what she wanted, that was in my stash.  I bought this Lori Holt design board at my local quilt shop, Dogwood Quilting in Ava, MO.  It is the perfect size for these 12 inch blocks.  I keep saying that I am going to make some, but never get around to it.
 I sewed the block on my featherweight.  I won this seam guide, also from Lori Holt, with some other stuff a few months ago.  I finally decided to use it on this machine.  I can change the bobbin underneath the machine without having to take the seam guide off each time I want to change the bobbin.
 I hope the adhesive does not hurt the finish on my machine, since my machine is not plastic.  It is a pretty shape though and I love that the seam guide is on both sides.
 I wasted a lot of time trying to make my machine sew, just because I forgot that a feather weight threads from right to left.  Stupid mistake since with vintage machines, you know which side to thread the needle on, according to which side the thread guide is on.  If it's on the right, thread from the right, if it's on the left, thread from the left.
 I joined my local quilt guild this past summer.  I wish I had joined it sooner!  They make a lot of charity quilts.  We met Friday morning to sew the rows together on this quilt(someone was sewing the top corner already, when I took this picture). I did not do much on this quilt, I don't trust my sewing abilities against everyone else's.  I know that I am not very good at sewing at a straight seam.  One of the members saw this block, blew it up, and made it into a big quilt by using 10 1/2 inch blocks.  I'll get a picture when they have finished quilting it.  One of the longarmers took it home to quilt and another lady will bind it.  We are donating this quilt a group who raises awareness for child abuse.  All of our quilts go to local charities.

 Pippi was sitting in my lap and that look was "No, you cannot get up and sew, you have to hold me instead."
Do you have a sewing group you are involved in?  I love being a part of a group, it helps me to get things done.

Missy

"How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
 Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
 Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
 They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course."
Psalms 82:2-5

I believe this verse tells us to defend children who are being abused, these poor children have no one else to help.

8 comments:

Kim said...

Hope you're feeling better. Love the block. I visited a local quilt guild and it was so boring I never went back. I wish there was one that I could go to but some of them around my area you have to be invited by a member so I couldn't check it out.

Beth @ Cooking Up Quilts said...

I recently joined our local guild and like you, I wish I had done so sooner! Next month we are sewing quilts for veterans and I'm really looking forward to it. I love your sweet little machine. I saw a featherweight for the first time last week. I didn't realize they were so small! Now I'm going to be watching for one. Thanks for the tip on threading the machine - I didn't know that. And thanks so much for linking to Main Crush Monday!

Janice Holton said...

I wish! I live in a tiny little town which, believe or not, does have a Quilt Shop but there is no quilting guild. I thought about trying to start one but I don't want to be in charge of it. I think it would be a lot of fun. How do you work making charity quilts together?

Gretchen Weaver said...

I've been a member of my quilt guild going on the 11th year now. I love it! The ladies are so friendly and willing to share. I have learned so much from the group, from hand applique to machine applique, from English paper-piecing to foundation paper-piecing. It makes me sad when I read other people commenting they don't attend a group because they weren't welcomed or it was boring or their technique was frowned upon. Your group sounds like a winner! Blessings. villacrestfarm@gmail.com

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Hope you are feeling better now. Have faith in your sewing abilities!!!! You are better than you think. I'm in 2 quilt guilds, plus the Quilts of Valor group. We used to have a weekly Thursday sewing group, but, the local quilt shop quit letting us use their classroom.

Sarah said...

That is one determined kitty face. The seam guide is adorable- I hope it doesn't damage the finish as well! I belong to a guild - we have monthly meetings with snacks and speakers. I'm generally unable to attend "sit-n-sew" tho, on the other hand, i also attend monthly hexie club meetings. Neither does much charity work but i do enjoy stitchin along with my hexie girls.

em's scrapbag said...

I love my quilt guild. I have been a member for almost 20 years. I learn so much from the wonderful ladies there.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Looks like you are busy Missy! I need to pull my featherweight out and use it again - that is always good for old machines. I had to laugh about threading it the wrong way, I have a little chart for all of my old machines as they seem to thread differently and I can never remember.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8