"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Thursday, November 23, 2017

The "new" Singer Featherweight Sewing Machine

My classic Featherweight
Did you hear that Singer has come out with a new Featherweight?  I guess since classic Featherweights are so popular the company probably wanted to get in on the action. 
 The new SINGER® Featherweight™ C240 sewing machine! With its sleek, compact design and weighing less than 14 pounds.
You can get more information about it here:  http://www.singerco.com/products

I prefer vintage machines because I don't have $75-$100 to get my machines cleaned and repaired, I just fix my own because vintage machines are a lot easier to fix and clean!

I have a friend who has a lot of information about vintage machines and new machines and I got her permission to share her thoughts on the new Featherweight.

" I just got a post about the 'new' Singer Featherweight machines - they have little if anything to do with the originals and please be aware that Singer per se manufactures nothing these days. It's just name owned by an Asian holding company. It's part of SVP - standing for Singer, Viking, Pfaff - all companies swallowed up by this holding company and none bears any resemblance to the original companies!! All manufactured in Asia someplace (as with virtually all things sewing machine related these days.) Their machines may (or may not) be OK for the short run but certainly won't hold up for the 60 some years Featherweights have been around much less the venerable Singer 12s or 15s dating back to the late 1800s!!"
by Cindy Peters  
If you need any parts for vintage machines you can contact her through her email stitchesintime%40earthlink.net
Here is her Facebook page:  https://www.facebook.com/Stitches-in-Time-Sewing-Machines-Parts-Supplies-173087319370566/ 

I just wanted you to now there is a difference between the two machines!

Missy Shay

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

Good to know! I will be very protective of my vintage featherweight!

Janice Holton said...

Great information! Thank you for sharing. :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Such a sad state, with some great sewing machine companies that are now just selling almost junk machines. I'm not really interested in many Singer machines that were made after the late 1960's.

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8