"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Honey Whole Wheat Pound Cake


Hey everybody.  Remember my topsy-turvy cake I made last week?  I had to use pound cake to help it hold up better, if you use regular cake it will just fall apart.  Here is the link for the topsy turvy cakehttp://missyscakesandaprons.blogspot.com/2010/05/whimsical-cake-how-to.html   I found a great recipe at http://www.joythebaker.com/blog/2009/08/honey-whole-wheat-pound-cake/
I don't usually like whole wheat in my cakes, but this cake was delicious!  It was moist and sweet.  I changed up the sugar, so here is the recipe for the cake with the change I made, be sure to follow the link for the exact original recipe.  I used palm sugar which made the cake a little healthier, and remember that palm sugar has a lower glycemic index.  The thot-not sugar I used also had more of a brown sugar taste to it.
Honey Whole Wheat Pound Cake
makes 1 9x5-inch loaf and 6 muffins
2 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 sticks butter  (Make sure you use real butter or it will not taste as good)
1 cup palm sugar
1/2 cup honey (I used a honey with a deep flavor, the taste of the pound cake will depend on your honey)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.  Butter and flour the loaf pan and muffin tins, you can also use a baker's spray.

Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl and set aside.

In the bowl of an electric stand mixer, whip the butter, sugar and honey on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4-5 minutes.  Add the vanilla extract.  Add the eggs one at a time, beating for about one minute after each addition.  Scrape down the bowl as needed.  Add the dry mixture and buttermilk in three additions, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.  Stop the mixer and scrape the bottom of the bowl with a spatula to make sure everything is evenly incorporated.

Transfer the batter to the prepared pans. Smooth the top down and bake the cake for about an hour and the muffins for about 20 - 25 minutes.  The cake will be a lovely golden brown and a thin knife inserted into the center of the cake will come out clean.

I used a 12 inch pan for my cake.  I sprayed the pan and a flower nail in the center of the pan to ensure even cooking in the large pan.  Turn the oven to 325 degrees F. The cake was actually done after about 40 minutes, so be sure to check it.  For a double layer 12 inch cake, I used three recipes of this cake and had enough for half the batter on a 6 inch pan.

Let the cake cool in the pan for 20 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.  If you leave the cake in the pan for too long, it will stick.

This cake was so delicious, that I will definitely be making it again!
Happy baking!
Missy

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8