"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Healthy Twinkies

I made healthy "Twinkies" last week.  My husband had bought me a canoe pan a while ago.
Norpro 3964 Cream Canoe Pan With Bonus 9 Piece Decorating Set
As you can see, this is where I got the shape for the Twinkies.  I also made some in regular cupcake pans.  I made a healthy version using  hard white wheat flour.  I found another recipe here that I might try next time. http://www.simplemathbakery.com/blog/2010/02/05/homemade-twinkies

Healthy Twinkies
Preheat the oven to 350°
Have all ingredients at room temperature.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat at high speed until fluffy:
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups palm sugar

Add slowly and beat on medium speed until fluffy:
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, sift together:
2 1/2 cups hard wheat white flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

At low speed, add the dry ingredients to the butter and egg mixture alternately with:
3/4 cup milk  (do not ever use low fat milk to bake with, the fat makes the baked goods taste better)

Fill each mold or liner three-quarters full.  Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden.  The tops should spring back when lightly pressed.  Cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes before removing the cupcakes from their pans or before turning the cakes out of their pans.

Since the canoe pan only makes 8 at a time, I made some of them in the cupcake pan.


You can't have Twinkies without filling!  You can fill them with anything, but I filled them with whipped cream.  I was out of palm sugar so I sweetened the whipped cream with agave nectar.  I usually use Knox gelatin to stabilize it, but I was out so I used guar gum and it worked great!  You can use a bag, but I used the plastic thing that came with my pan, the whipping cream doesn't melt in my hands this way.

You have to have three spots of whipped cream for the classic look!  As you can tell, I made a mess!  I like to put a towel down when I decorate cakes, it makes clean up a lot easier!

I took them to church and the snack size baggies were the perfect fit for the Twinkies!  I hope you enjoy!
Missy

1 comment:

Ellen said...

These look terrific. New follower from This Chick Cooks! I look forward to more great recipes and ideas! ~ Ellen

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8