"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

How To Make A Fabric Flower


I have fallen in love with fabric flowers!  They are so fun to make, I'm still new at it, but I want to share what I have learned so far!  These I made by folding the fabric over.
These I made with just one layer of fabric for a frayed look.

I am going to teach you how to make the one with the folded fabric, although the concept is the same for both.
I cut two small strips for my two smaller flowers out of the blue, then I wanted a double blue and white flower for the top, so I cut the white strip, which was my bottom layer, bigger then my blue strip which was my top layer.  I then folded the flowers over and ironed them down.
I then took my two ends of a folded strip and sewed it together on the machine (It can be done by hand if you don't have a machine).  I was not doing this at first, but it provides a cleaner finish if they are sewn together first.  You then take your sewing needle and stitch around the entire length very closely together (see pictures) and it naturally makes a circle.

Then you sew the middle sides together to close up the hole.  You want to make sure you don't have any holes gaping open under your button, it is supposed to look like a flower after all.  You are almost done!

If you are making two layers of your flower, place them on top of each other.  Then sew on your button.  If your thread was long enough, you will still be using the same needle and thread through the whole process.  Put your thread through the button a few times. 




Then with the thread still attached, position your flower where you want to sew it on your fabric and sew it through the button a few times to make sure it won't come off.




 
 
I then tack the flower on around the circumference to make sure the flower doesn't "crinkle up" in the wash.  Notice my edge where I sewed the two sides together?  That was done by hand and looks sloppy which is why I started doing it by machine first.  That's it!  You're done!  A great finish to any apron or project you are working on!  Flowers are also great for hiding any mistakes you make!  I'm still new at this, so if you have any suggestions, fell free to let me know!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8