"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Cornbread Salad


I wanted to share a recipe with you that is not my original recipe, I got it from my friend Cara, back when I was still a newly wed (17 years ago!)  It has to be one of my favorite recipes.  I halved the recipe in this picture since there were only two of us eating with enough leftovers for seconds the next day for both of us!  Plus some!  I'll be giving you the recipe for whole recipe.  I'm also adding my tweaks!  The best part is no cooking involved.
Ingredients:
2 cans whole kernel corn (drained)
2 cans pinto beans (drained) or one quart jar home canned pinto beans
3 tomatoes
2 bell peppers
1 bunch of scallion onions (I leave this out since I don't like raw onions)
1 container of "real" bacon bits.  I chopped up about 10 pieces of cooked turkey bacon
3 cups grated cheddar cheese (I like sharp)
1 recipe cornbread (I like Jiffy)
For dressing:
1 packet of powdered ranch dressing (instead I used garlic salt, onion powder, dill, salt, pepper and tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, you can use minced garlic instead if you like a bite)
1 cup sour cream
1 cup mayo

Directions:    You will layer all ingredients
1.  mix dressing and put in fridge
2.  chop veggies and put in fridge
3.  crumble 1/2 cornbread and put in bottom of bowl
4.  1 can of drained corn
5.  1 can of beans drained (or half of quart size jar)
6.  1/2 of the veggies
7.  1/2 of the cheese
8.  1/2 of the bacon bits
9.  1/2 of the dressing
10. start over again

This is a great dish for a potluck!

Of course I had to share some pictures of my furbabies!
Here is Precious and Pippi sleeping together.
And an adorable picture of Squeeky
I hope you enjoy!
Missy


Photobucket
Post a Comment
"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8







There was an error in this gadget