"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, October 28, 2011

Pumpkin Soup

I just noticed I have two new friends on GFC!  Welcome!  I don't know how to tell how many friends I have on my blogger, I am very "slow" in learning computer stuff.  I would like to thank Rebecca, a young girl I used to babysit, for helping fix my background.
My friend Marie came over for lunch yesterday and laughed at me for taking a picture of my soup!  She never gets on the internet, so I had to show her my blog so she would understand why I take my pictures of my food!
Here is the original recipe, I changed it a little.
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/day-299.html

I made a lot so I could can it, only to find out, after I had it in the water bath canner, that it HAS to be done in a pressure canner!  I put them in the freezer after they cooled down.
-4 15 oz cans or 6 cups of pumpkin.  I used organic pumpkin puree.
-4 cups vegetable broth, I used one box you can also use chicken broth.  Go for the organic, stores like Whole Foods, Central Market and HEB have it for $2!  I stock up when I go to one of those stores.
-3 cups water
2 yams or sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
since sweet potatoes are so hard to cut, I used my mandolin slicer and then chopped it.
-3-4 chopped garlic cloves, I used my garlic press
1 T sugar (I used palm)
1 tsp ginger
3 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp tumeric
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 chopped onion (optional)
heavy whipping cream
Put it all in the crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 8 hrs (if you don't have that much much time you can cook it on high for one hour to get it started, then turn it to low.
If you have in immersible blender use that (I really want one of these!) I scooped out the chunks and put them in my blender and blended until smooth.  Don't put the lid all of the way on the hot liquid, or it might explode, I tilted the middle insert of the lid to let steam escape.
I made a mess, but it sure is delicious.  I also have extra made and in my freezer for future lunches!  Not to mention how healthy this soup is.  With sweet potatoes, pumpkin and garlic - you can't go wrong!
My friend Marie told me that she does not like pumpkin, but after tasting my soup she changed her mind.
I hope you enjoy this much as I do!
Enjoy this cool weather with some soup!
Missy

3 comments:

Mindie Hilton said...

I love pumpkin recipes. I would love for you to share at my weekly linky party. Come strut your stuff.
http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/

Craft-a-Boo said...

This looks delicious! Thanks for coming to link up this week at my weekend wow me party! Hope to see you next week!

Danni@SiloHillFarm said...

Since I grow a lot of pumpkins on my farm...I was glad to see this recipe over at Serendipity and Spice! Looks delicious and I pinned it! Happy to be your newest followere via GFC!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8