"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Monday, February 10, 2014

How to spray baste a quilt

As you know, this is my newest hand quilting project.  Hopefully my stitches will be better by the time I finish!  I've had several people ask me how I spray baste my quilts.  There are some great tutorials out there, but this is how I do it.  First thing, if you have bad knees like me, or just want to be more comfortable, get some knee pads.  Mine are covered with glue and cat hair!  LOL
This is what I use to baste my quilt with.  Make sure you do not spray too much glue, you want a nice even coat.  Yes it does wash out and the best thing is that you can re-position as you go along if you miss a wrinkle.
Lay your backing on the floor, right side down.  Then move the cat off it (I usually try to make sure I do this during nap time.)
Then use painter's tape to tape down a taught backing, do not stretch the backing though.  The tape works better on floors then carpet.
Then lay your backing down on top and move the cat again.
Once you get your backing in the right spot and make sure a cat will not get in the way, fold up half of the backing and then spray that half.  Smooth down and repeat on the other side.  The same will be done to the top.
You are finished with your backing so get your top positioned in the middle and fold in half.
 Evenly spray the batting.

Slowly smooth down the fabric starting in the middle and moving out.



My husband was kind enough to take m pictures for me!
I finished off putting some safety pins around the edges in case I missed any spots there withe the glue.
Make sure to check the back and make sure you did not mess it up while basting the top, you might have to fix a wrinkle or two!
I also made a video showing you how I do it.





If you have any hints or tips, please share!
Missy

12 comments:

Pam @Threading My Way said...

You make it look so easy! Glue and I just don't seem to go together... I just know I'd make a mess... LOL!!! So I'm not game to try.

Siouxzq64@gmail.com said...

I have used the baste glue called 505 or something and it is very smelly, and expensive. How is the Krylon for smell and cost?

Linda Swanekamp said...

I love to spray baste. I have experimented and found that the Sullivan's spray works best for me. It has the right amount of tack and washes out completely. Unfortunately, I will only spray outdoors and the cold temperature makes it a no go right now, so I have to pin. I tape my backing to the plywood wall in my garage, spray, layer the batting down starting at the top. Spray again, layer the quilt top down from the top of the taped work. I use a yardstick to smooth it all out (first over the batting, then the quilt top). I remove the tape starting at the bottom. Let the top flop on me. Much better than the floor for neck and back.

Denise :) said...

Great tutorial, Missy! Love the cats making their presence known. They are totally cat! :)

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I've only spray basted a few times, and then on baby quilts that will be washed before sending them off. I'm lucky, as I can do it on the patio table. Hubby helped last time, since the wind was trying to 'play' with my layers. With his help, I didn't have to use tape, and it came out great. I just can't take that smell in the house. As for your hand quilting the cat panel, I'd just follow the kitties, then add something in the larger blank areas, like cross hatching or something. I've done that before with good results.

Anonymous said...

Very detailed tutorial. Thank you.

Muv said...

Hello Missy,

I enjoyed the video, but I was a bit disappointed that there was no cat getting in the way. Aren't there any out-takes?

Love,
Muv

donna said...

Thank you for sharing, You make it look so easy. Anytime I have tried that it has become a stressful mess.
Hug
donna

GardenOfDaisies said...

I just baste with pins. But mine have all been very small (baby or wallhanging size) quilts.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I am sure it is helpful for those who make quilts...thanks for sharing on the Thursday Blog Hop!

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Great tutorial Missy! Thanks for sharing.
Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

Snoodles said...

This is a great post...nice clear photos and instructions. Love the kitties too! :)

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8