"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Small Town Quilt Shows

I live in a small town of 3,000 in Missouri.  This past weekend we had two small quilt shows in conjunction with each other.  The Douglas County Historical Museum and Ava Art Guild are right next to each other.  The museum raffles off a quilt every year to raise money.  I entered quilts in both shows.  At the museum, I entered my grandmother's quilt.  It is a Martha Washington's Flower Garden.  It is hand pieced and hand quilted.
 Can you see the tumbling blocks and the diamonds?
 I have included the pictures of their names with each quilt.  There were between ten to fifteen quilts at the museum.

 One day I will make a Sunbonnet Sue quilt.  I love the embroidery on the hats.


 My quilt guild, Pieces and friendship, helped sponsor the show at the Art Guild.  The judging was done by viewer's choice.  There was a tie for first place and my quilt won third third place, by one vote, it was almost a three way tie!  My quilt is at the bottom of the post.
I love the quilting on this mini quilt!















 This quilt one first place.  It was paper pieced.














 I have been collecting vintage handkerchiefs to make this butterfly quilt.  I was happy to see one here.  This one won second place.





 This is the quilt I entered.  My long time readers will be familiar with this quilt.  It is a version of a Drunkard's Path, called Devil's Puzzle Box.  A friend, Pat, started the quilt, I finished it, and a blog friend, Dora, quilted it on her long arm.  This one won third place.
I'm not sure how I missed getting a picture of the quilt they raffled off!
I took pictures of most of the quilts, but not all of them.  I really enjoyed this small quilt show and hope we have another one next year!

Missy

13 comments:

Heidi said...

I love quilt shows. Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. It feels like I was able to be there :)

Summer said...

Looove the blocks and diamonds☺ Nice quilts ♥

summerdaisycottage.blogspot.com

Linda Swanekamp said...

Beautiful variety of quilts! Your drunkards' path is gorgeous. My quilt guid's triennial show is this coming weekend but Buffalo is too far for you to come! Thanks for sharing the show via photos!

Little Penpen said...

I love quilt shows that have traditional quilts! Your grandmother's quilt is incredible and I do love your drunkard's path quilt. What fun!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Isn't the last quilt yours, too? I love the handkerchief butterflies. I really need to use my collection of handkerchiefs one day.

Kevin the Quilter said...

You certainly have a spectacular piece of artwork from your grandmother there! Stunning!

Kathleen said...

Beautiful quilts.

Run 'n Stitch said...

What a fun outing. Thank you for sharing!

Miaismine said...

Thank you for sharing all these lovely quilts! I loved your grandmother's flower garden quilt and yes, I saw both designs! What a precious quilt you have!

TheEclecticAbuela said...

Beautiful!

BTW: I'm in Greene county, neighbor! :)

Rachel said...

So many hexies in your Flower Garden quilt. Very inspiring! I also really like that state quilt. Thanks for sharing!

Feathers in my Nest said...

My kind of quilts...vintage & traditional..
Thanks for sharing that beautiful Grandmothers Garden quilt...Love your wallpaper too!

Sarah said...

Congrats on winning third place!! Fun to see so many hexie quilts too!

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8