"She looketh well to the ways of her household, and eateth not the bread of idleness." Proverbs 31:27

Friday, May 11, 2012

My childhood quilt

 This is a very special quilt from my mom.  My mom used to do a lot of painting with tri-chem, I was surprised to learn that they are still in business.
http://www.trichem.com/
She was a single mother raising two daughters by herself.  She wanted a quilt for both of her daughters.  She did not sew, but she could paint with her tri-chem!  She made one with dolls of the world and one with kittens.  Mine was supposed to be kittens with the blue border (my favorite color) and my sister's was supposed to be dolls with a yellow border (her favorite color).  The lady who did the quilting accidently swapped the colors, so I got the dolls and my sister got the kittens.  She is three years older then me so I started Jr High when my sister started High School.  These were our gifts for this new time of our lives.  I've had this quilt for 25 years!
 My mom and I are very close.  She is on the far left, and my grandmother on the far right, my sister is up front.  1992

 Here is our old fashioned picture with my husband.  2008

My mom and I riding the horses at the stockyards!  2008
This is our most recent picture. 2011  Not a great picture since we had been at the fair all day and my hair is all pulled up.  We go to the fair every year for mine and my sister's birthdays.  Her birthday is the day before mine.  It was not as much fun as it was when we were little though.  My mom is on the end, my sister in the middle, me on the right, and my niece in the front.  Does this remind you of the picture at the top except this time my mom is the grandmother?  I always thought it would be me, my mom and my daughters hanging out, just like when I grew up.  The Lord has not blessed me with any children yet.  My grandmother always was a part of our outings.  Us "girls" have always been closely knit together, I'm the only who still does not live in Lubbock.  I miss my mom and getting to hang out with her and my sister.  I call her all the time.  I have the best mom and my quilt goes with me everywhere. It has been to church camps, youth conferences, camp meetings, college, marriage, vacations, everywhere.  It has always been a part of my life and comfort to me, just like my mom.
Thank you mom for being such a great mom, I love you!
Happy mother's day,
Missy

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing at our Sunday Round Up! Can't wait to see what you have for us next weekend. Have a GREAT week!
xoxo
Heather

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

What a special quilt and thanks for sharing the memories! I remember making tri-chem blocks but don't remember whatever happened to them because my mom didn't quilt. It is funny because we went to the Dutchman's Store in Cantril, Iowa yesterday and they had Tri-chem paints! Thanks for sharing!
Quilting at the River Linky Party Tuesday

Dogwood Lane Rambles said...

Such a special keepsake from your mom and wonderful memories. Thanks for sharing.

LV said...

Thank you for sharing such special treasures with us. I enjoyed seeing your family and things they made.

carol l mckenna said...

What a treasure you have ~ love the quilts and family is awesome too ~thanks, namaste, ^_^

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures. I'm a new follower from a blog hop and would love if you followed me at http://iheartpears.blogspot.com !

Katherines Corner said...

it;s even more beautiful knowing that love created every stitch. Thank you for linking to the Thursday Favorite Things Hop. I appreciate your bloggy friendship xo

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in Him." Psalm 34:8